• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hand climber platform

Davis21

Would it be feasible to use this for climbing method, and then when you hit a branch, just hang from saddle or jx3 and undo and reattach and continue up? What’s y’all a thoughts?

Short answer is yes, it can be done. Bigger question is what will you do if and when something goes wrong and you drop it or something required for it to function falls. You are upping the odds of something going wrong by detaching it.

John H., Hickory, NC

“You sure are cocky for a starvin’ pilgrim.”

I’ve been giving this a lot of thought and I’m thinking about bringing one of my cut down LW sticks along for going around branches. I have to try it out though to see if it’s worth it. As far as dropping the platform, I have it Tethered to me so I can’t loose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be feasible to use this for climbing method, and then when you hit a branch, just hang from saddle or jx3 and undo and reattach and continue up? What’s y’all a thoughts?

Yes. To avoid dropping it, you should be tethered to the platform from the time you leave the ground.

I was thinking keeping a paracord line attached to platform and then to tether carabiner or something to prevent it falling all way down. As far as failing, is the risk anymore that hunting from a climber? What parts are you referring too? Not trying to be smart a** just wanting to ask to see if I was overlooking something..I guess the process of dangling off the ground and unhooking and rehooking would be pretty big risk.

I used the hand climber as both my platform and climbing method last season. I ran a piece of 550 from my saddle down to the climber just in case it were to slip and need to pull it back up.

I used the hand climber as both my platform and climbing method last season. I ran a piece of 550 from my saddle down to the climber just in case it were to slip and need to pull it back up.

Adrenal mod or no?

Trying to decide whether I need to do it or not. Just haven’t had time to put it on a tree yet.

Ok, so I decided to get up above a Y split. Going up was no problem with two lines. On the way down, however, "hmm...how do I get below the branch and attach the platform?" 40 min later and exhuasted, I used the two lines to lower myself low enough to attach the hand climber below the Y.

I've decided to always carry a stick and 5 step aider, so I don't sweat for another 40 mins.

I was thinking keeping a paracord line attached to platform and then to tether carabiner or something to prevent it falling all way down. As far as failing, is the risk anymore that hunting from a climber? What parts are you referring too? Not trying to be smart a** just wanting to ask to see if I was overlooking something..I guess the process of dangling off the ground and unhooking and rehooking would be pretty big risk.
You didn't state which brand of hand climber, so I covered different options than just LW. Some brands have parts that can be dropped, so wanted to make sure to provoke thought about those. Main thing is to have a backup plan if something fails on any type of climbing method, but especially if you are going to remove it and then reattach.

John H., Hickory, NC

“You sure are cocky for a starvin’ pilgrim.”

All makes sense, appreciate the insight! I’m new to the saddle game so just trying to find my path!

Back