• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hanging a deer with saddle equipment for field dressing

SNIPERBBB

I've seen this mentioned a few times but for some reason I can't visualize it. I like hanging critters wherever possible when I need to cut stuff out of them so if I can do it with deer that would be a be big bonus.

I'll have a srt equipment for doing this with my saddle.

Yo, if you have a spreader bar and a tree limb just spreader bar on deer, hook srt rope to spreader bar...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

If you have a Kong Duck or RollnLock you can use those as a pulley too. With your SRT line and your backup lineman/tether, you could rig something up.

Not field dressing, but for skinning and quartering, to pack out. I’ve used my tether and lineman ropes, both with ropeman 1’s and Caribeaners. I cut a slit in each rear leg. and then insert the caribeaners the same way you would use a gambrel.
I then attached both ropes to different trees 4-5 feet apart, and pulled the ropeman 1’s taught.

Can someone remind me who came up with the ultralight deer hoist system? Could be applicable here

Couple of things I do with tether and lineman belt after the shot.....

If dragging a deer I will take tether or belt and tie off the front legs to the neck. That way the legs do not tangle on anything while dragging and they are out of the way. The other rope normally goes around the neck of a doe and looped around a stick or my wrist in order to drag. Same thing for a buck as the deer I shoot are rarely big enough to get your hands around the rack :)

If I am going to gut/quarter/pack out I will use a small 3:1 pulley to hoist the deer up the tree. Or girth hitch my tether to a low limb and use my ropeman to help hoist the deer body off the ground. After all it is an ascender. So far so good.

That's kinda what I'm looking for. I've got my SRT gear in now. I'm wondering how I can do this with .y Grigri and hand ascender. I have part of a plan. What percent? Maybe 12%

That's kinda what I'm looking for. I've got my SRT gear in now. I'm wondering how I can do this with .y Grigri and hand ascender. I have part of a plan. What percent? Maybe 12%

I have used a gri-gri and ascenders a ton while rock climbing and mountaineering over the years. If you have that, rope and some sort of basic pully system (even two carabieners) you are in the game for sure.

Try a youtube search of climbers doing "big wall gear hauling" and you might get a better idea of how they use their gear to drag loads of climbing gear up routes on big walls in places like Yosemite...etc. Most of the time it will involve pulling on the hand ascender and using the grigri to prevent the load from falling back down. In other words, the grigri might be up on a limb as a pully that keeps the deer/load from falling back down once hoisted. I would suggest adding some sort of foot stirup to the ascender to make it easier when pulling the deer up the tree.

What's it my head right now is girth hitch to a low enough limb. Then setup my system like I was going to climb up. I have the ct quick roll ascender which has a kind of pulley on the side. Push the hand ascender as high up as I can. Then attach deer to the Grigri and pull.

Maybe this weekend I'll get in the garage and test a 5gal bucket of water and see how it works. If it does I'll post a video

Couple of things I do with tether and lineman belt after the shot.....

If dragging a deer I will take tether or belt and tie off the front legs to the neck. That way the legs do not tangle on anything while dragging and they are out of the way. The other rope normally goes around the neck of a doe and looped around a stick or my wrist in order to drag. Same thing for a buck as the deer I shoot are rarely big enough to get your hands around the rack :)

If I am going to gut/quarter/pack out I will use a small 3:1 pulley to hoist the deer up the tree. Or girth hitch my tether to a low limb and use my ropeman to help hoist the deer body off the ground. After all it is an ascender. So far so good.

I bought a think a few years ago that's like handcuffs for a deer that puts the front legs behind their ears.

I bought a think a few years ago that's like handcuffs for a deer that puts the front legs behind their ears.

Sounds like the same concept with different hardware. Either way, highly recommend getting those legs up and out of the way, especially on a rocky drag.

Back