• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hard decision ! Need help!!

redhawk

Man, I have got a tough decision for myself, and I am seeking advice from you all.

I have Lone Wolf climbing sticks and love the simplicity and quickness of using them, however my pack option does not lend a hand in carrying the sticks. I have been experimenting with bolts and the treehopper drill, which I love for the easy of use and bulk savings, as well as can buy a new bolt at pretty much any given hardware store if in a crunch. My dilemma is that it takes twice as long to get up the tree using bolts, and as a fat man, I usually get a sweat going easily.

I have been on a quest to minimize my system to carry only what will aid in killing game and needed equipment to process it. I run a Badlands silent reaper pack which is minimalist at best, but no way to carry sticks on them. The bolts can be carried in a nice pouch inside the pack and then used at the tree. What do you think would be the better fit, run the bolts to be ultra mobile and just suck it up with the sweat and time, or get up the tree asap with sticks and just fight the bulk and the sticks catching on stuff as I get to my spot to hunt???

Any advice, suggestions, or tips are appreciated.

I think a lot of it depends on what type of property you’re hunting. If you’re hunting the 100-acre family farm you’ve been hunting your whole life and really know deer patterns well, you can “preset” a bunch of the best trees by drilling holes with a power drill before the season. Then you just use the hand drill to open them back up, which is super easy and much faster than even sticks. But, if you’re wanting to hike through 2,000 acres of public or a big lease until you find fresh sign, pre-drilling is less feasible and sticks will probably suit you better.
I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t mind hunting the same tree year after year if it’s been productive, since I’ve killed 3 of my 4 biggest bucks from trees I’ve hunted hard in years past, but I also like exploring new areas and setting up wherever it “feels right” that day. I’ll be doing both this year—pre-drilling for bolts on “old faithful” type trees and carrying sticks when I’m going somewhere new.

I think a lot of it depends on what type of property you’re hunting. If you’re hunting the 100-acre family farm you’ve been hunting your whole life and really know deer patterns well, you can “preset” a bunch of the best trees by drilling holes with a power drill before the season. Then you just use the hand drill to open them back up, which is super easy and much faster than even sticks. But, if you’re wanting to hike through 2,000 acres of public or a big lease until you find fresh sign, pre-drilling is less feasible and sticks will probably suit you better.
I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t mind hunting the same tree year after year if it’s been productive, since I’ve killed 3 of my 4 biggest bucks from trees I’ve hunted hard in years past, but I also like exploring new areas and setting up wherever it “feels right” that day. I’ll be doing both this year—pre-drilling for bolts on “old faithful” type trees and carrying sticks when I’m going somewhere new.

I have a early season farm where I sat pre drilled hole for bolts at, but want to look at public land , really for more challenges and scene changes. Just did a practice climb and sit with my sticks and was nice to just climb and sit, as I am fluent with them. Will practice later today with a climb and sit with the bolts . It just seems bolts are more streamlined. Sorry but I am one of those folks who over analyze and try to find the simplest and safest way to climb, as I usually hunt alone.

I have a early season farm where I sat pre drilled hole for bolts at, but want to look at public land , really for more challenges and scene changes. Just did a practice climb and sit with my sticks and was nice to just climb and sit, as I am fluent with them. Will practice later today with a climb and sit with the bolts . It just seems bolts are more streamlined. Sorry but I am one of those folks who over analyze and try to find the simplest and safest way to climb, as I usually hunt alone.
If you're hunting public, make sure it's legal to use bolts on that property. Many states prohibit bolts, screw-ins, etc. on public land, so you might be forced to use sticks there.

I like sticks much faster with less noise and sweat. Get a stick caddy from Lonewolf and carry your sticks over your shoulder.

If you're hunting public, make sure it's legal to use bolts on that property. Many states prohibit bolts, screw-ins, etc. on public land, so you might be forced to use sticks there.

Yeah, I checked with the DNR for our state and we just have to remove them after our hunt for the day. Great point[/QUOTE

Last edited:
You just can't beat a Dano satchel with 8 squirrel steps.

The squirrel steps are legit! How high are you getting with 8 steps? I am not necessarily concerned with reaching a specific height. I can get 15-18 with my bolts or sticks, and then probably another 18in to my ROS.

I'm on the same page with the fact that I have a small hunting spot behind my house. Set up those trees for bolts. When hunting public land I use sticks, wanting to practice a one stick method this year, waiting on flex saddle to come in! It all depends on hunting spot and what the situation is?

Rig up a sling and carry the sticks on your shoulder. I carry mine that way, held vertically, and barely notice them. NOTE: my sticks are Heliums, shortened to 23", I improvise my aider into the sling.

i carry my lone wolfs in a shoulder sling. I use the lone wolf strap stabilizing straps that you need to tie 2 pieces of their climbing stands together. Its better then the caddy. added a plastic piece off amazon to make it more comfortable. got 2 wally world camping straps and buckles to keep them tight to each other. quiet, light and fast. Rifle is carried on a boonie safari sling in going across my chest.

Back