• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Has anyone have data comparing 8mm vs 9mm for rappelling?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
So basically l got my hands on a descender but its rated for 9mm and up. I do want to jump on the oplux train for rappelling after 1 stick. But since l already have a descender (grigri), l want to use what l have. And 9mm ropes from DanO is half the price of Oplux. So does anyone have any info on weight/packability/personal experience between the rope sizes? Pictures of pouch packed hanging from saddles would help, I'm thinking of carrying 35-40 ft. But any info be useful. Ill save up the $150 money for oplux and lifeguard if everyone think the ultimate rappelling combo is worth it, but $40 for 9mm ropes sound alot easier to wallet.

Well I used a 8 mm oplux with life guard out of spec and works ok while dry but when wet watch out and hold on to your hat. Switched to 9mm canyon and that’s what I’m staying with when wet or dry it works near perfect with lifeguard. Will use the oplux ONLY with a ATC only when I know it’s gonna be dry. Don’t get me wrong I love oplux and really prefer to use it because it packs down real good and strong and lightweight but for my safety I will stay with the canyon as it’s only a few ounces heavier and packs down pretty well not as well as oplux but I like it because when wet it doesn’t absorb much moisture which I believe it’s designed for and I like to go at my own speed for descent which the canyon just does fine

The cheaper bigger rope will be fine for this. The change in pack ability is incremental.

if you’re that strapped for cash, save it for something with a bigger bang for the buck.

I was using Oplux with my Safeguard, which is technically out of spec. I had no issues, but ended up swapping it for some 9mm Canyon C-IV rope for peace of mind. I bought 110’ for something like $150, but DanO also carries it in custom cut lengths (I believe).

Honestly, the pack ability and weight difference wasn’t noticeable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used canyon c-iv all this year it takes a full season to break it down but it does break in a bit and it works well
but I did order some oplux That should be in the mail box any day now just to see what all the rage is about . Im also using the madrock

I used a figure 8 with oplux 8mm and it worked just fine. Had a madrock Enroute and for piece of mind I switched to canyon 9mm. Another big thing I liked about canyon was the water resistance. I was worried about combining the oplux and madrock and then really worried if the oplux got wet.

With all that said I would strongly recommend canyon rope in atleast 40’ length. Then all you have to do is buy a $30 hand ascender and you have the option for SRT as well. I SRT’d once (last hunt) it was amazing!

I went with canyon civ myself. I messed with Oplux in the safeguard a bit and found it was able to pop put of the groove. I didn’t like that.

If you already have the Oplux get the Beal Birdie instead of the MR Safeguard. Its rated for the narrower diameter ropes (down to 8.5mm) and cheaper. I've been using the Oplux with the Safeguard all last season and no real problems but haven't used it wet. I've used it in damp conditions but not soaking wet so I can't speak to that but sounds like something I wouldn't want to try.

Hello all , I use oplux , MR-SG and auto block for one sticking and rappel.... I’ve not had the opportunity to use in really wet conditions..... for all of those that have experienced this wet, slippy issue , are you using an auto block or other back up ? Just the MR ? Obviously The main issue must be the slipping of the rope through the MR , has any had slipping through their back up as well ?

Thanks Ry

I am trying one sticking this year with a modded Helium and scout platform to go light weight for tough hikes. I have 40 feet of Teufelberger Resc Tech 8mm (same as oplux according to Dan-O from EWO) and a safeguard I want to use for 1 sticking and rappelling down. This spring I will be soaking the rope in water and testing how it does with the safeguard before attempting any climbs at height. I might get 9mm for piece of mind.

So basically l got my hands on a descender but its rated for 9mm and up. I do want to jump on the oplux train for rappelling after 1 stick. But since l already have a descender (grigri), l want to use what l have. And 9mm ropes from DanO is half the price of Oplux. So does anyone have any info on weight/packability/personal experience between the rope sizes? Pictures of pouch packed hanging from saddles would help, I'm thinking of carrying 35-40 ft. But any info be useful. Ill save up the $150 money for oplux and lifeguard if everyone think the ultimate rappelling combo is worth it, but $40 for 9mm ropes sound alot easier to wallet.
Don't shatter the budget, you know what bandwidth you have. The good thing is. Perfect rope or not you get to hunt. Praise the Lord. The one thing I would not compromise on even for budget is safety... And your not doing that. God bless. Good hunting. Stay safe.

Thanks everyone. I was suprises that there was not more oplux lovers because that was all l see here. Decided the peace of mind was worth the extra 1mm and saving. @bj139 Thanks! Exactly what l wanted to see. What is the name of that knot you use injunction with the carabiner? Is that a type of stopper knot?

OpLux is designed for rappelling and pack ability. If those are your top two then it’s excellent. Just use a small, rated, non-mechanical rappelling device (figure 8, ATC, etc.) and you’ll have the piece of mind you’re looking for.

If you’re carrying 50’ or less rappelling line in a pack then the weight difference between most 8mm and 9mm options is not noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I was suprises that there was not more oplux lovers because that was all l see here. Decided the peace of mind was worth the extra 1mm and saving. @bj139 Thanks! Exactly what l wanted to see. What is the name of that knot you use injunction with the carabiner? Is that a type of stopper knot?
I think that might be a clove hitch although I am not quite sure how I did that. :oops:
Here is that rope with a Lifeguard. I went to heavier rope shortly after.

Back