• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Have an XC. is it worth trying an Archon?

Jeremy_D

I have an XC and have no complaints about it. Im considering picking up an Archon. Guys that have tried both is the price worth the change?

Saddle comfort and fit are such a personal thing, nobody can answer that for you. The only way to find out is to try one, and a five or ten minute trial may be misleading as to how it will feel after sitting in a tree for several hours. Sorry this isn't the answer you're looking for.

I have an XC size two and an Archon as well. This is my analogy. I meet a guy who is into Glocks. He has a Glock 17 (9mm), a Glock 45 (9mm), a Glock 34 (9mm), and a Glock 19X (9mm). These pistols are identical except for less than an inch or so in either slide length or frame length. Someone will eventually ask how do you like the 17 compared to the 19X. Well essentially one is brown and one is black with a few other minor details. In the end the main reason is because he wants both.

Get both. If it totally sucks sell it here for a little loss and call it experimentation or testing.
Or maybe you find you like one in cold weather because how it fits around your layering better or some weird thing you won’t know until you try.

Get both.

The default answers you get from fellow addicts is get both. Myself included. But yeah, saddles have high resale value. This community is one big time share scam....everyone buy things back and forward all the time to test out. I swear i saw 2 guys buy/sell back and forward a Predator for years

I have a size 1 XC and a size 2 archon.I like the XC better than any other saddle until I bought the archon.Maybe it's the difference in sizing but the archon is slightly more comfortable to me while the XC is slightly more convenient and user friendly.

Every 2 panel saddle I've tried has too many cons that never overcome the pros. It would make sense if 1 panel saddles were that uncomfortable. But the xc is incredibly comfy and isn't finicky in the least.

I agree but the archon really doesn't have any cons.The only thing I don't care for is the gated S hooks on the leg straps.If it had the regulat buckles,it would be perfect.

I agree but the archon really doesn't have any cons.The only thing I don't care for is the gated S hooks on the leg straps.If it had the regulat buckles,it would be perfect.
So its worth the upgrade from an XC in your opinion?

I have both and I can’t say it’s an upgrade. They are both excellent saddles in their own right. I will say I’m glad I bought a one piece first just to understand adjusting it and getting comfort levels right. That way when/if you get a two piece you will be ready to adjust it even more than the one piece. I already used the Glock analogy once. The G34 isn’t an upgrade from the G17 or G19. They each have specific purposes for the end user just like the one or two piece saddle.

Buy both. There are already some for sale in the classifieds.

I say get it. Again resale value is pretty good for saddles. The differences between 1 and 2 panels are enough to justify having one of each. You are not actually getting an upgraded model, but a completely different design. Like SUV and truck can both serve 75% of the same function. The one thing that some people also do with 1 panel is get a back band for support and they found that really help comfort. With 2 panels you might not need it, but may find the panel that cup your bottom not comfortable enough. I suggest DIY a simple back band and testing out if it make the sit more comfortable.

But again, be honest with yourself. If you just want to have another saddle and have the means to get it, you really don't need to justify it to yourself or have us push you one way or the other. Buyer remorse is something that only happens when you give false reasonings for buying it. 'I simply want it, I saved up for it, I'm getting it'. :)

Last edited:
I honestly can't say for sure unless I tried a size 2 XC.That may have been the difference.The XC is flat out an awesome saddle in every regard.With that said,other than the gated G hooks on the archon,I see no cons with that saddle either.I could hunt with either one and never look back.

I've used two different two panel saddles in the past couple of years.I found them both far more comfortable than a traditional saddle but the fiddle factor was a PIA.The archon eliminates most of the issues facing other two panel designs.With that said,so does the XC but the archon just has more adjustability

Alright after a couple beers last night I ordered it. Ill just sell which ever one I wont use as much. I really like my XC and I have a back band, tried it a couple times and just didnt find it really added anything. I dont care to try out any other single panel saddles so once I put the 2 panel curiosity to rest Im set.....right? lol

Back