• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium Sticks - Upgraded Suction Cups

Crawdaddy4

SH Member
I purchased (2) Sets of the Hawk Helium Mini climbing sticks about 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty happy with the sticks, but the suction cups broke immediately after purchasing on both sets. Most common problem was that the male heads broke off inside the female receiver part. I ended up just lashing the sticks together with a couple of Titan straps, which I think I like better anyways because they hold together tighter and I don't tear my rotator's cuff trying to separate them!.

I had contacted Hawk twice via their website about replacement parts, but never got a response. I sat on hold today for a phone representative for about 30 minutes. Once I finally connected with someone, they were super friendly and explained that "Hawk had a widespread problem with that suction cup design and had to re-engineer it. Due to this fact, the new style suction cups are on back order". They did go ahead and order me (2) sets, but couldn't forecast when I would receive them.

The company that handles Hawk's claims is GSM, who also handles a dozen other outdoor companies' customer service. It takes a long time to get through, but if you want to get some replacement suction cups, it's worth sitting on the phone. I utilized this time to work on some Amsteel Daisy Chains!! :D

Good to know! I would like to get some new ones if they’re available too. Mine are close to breaking now but haven’t given way yet. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine, and my buddies broke as soon as we got them, we took a razor knife to the cups and I made new male ends out of black delrin so once we lash them together the cup and post just keep them from sliding around. If you have someone that can make them I’ll send you a print.

I purchased (2) Sets of the Hawk Helium Mini climbing sticks about 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty happy with the sticks, but the suction cups broke immediately after purchasing on both sets. Most common problem was that the male heads broke off inside the female receiver part. I ended up just lashing the sticks together with a couple of Titan straps, which I think I like better anyways because they hold together tighter and I don't tear my rotator's cuff trying to separate them!.

I had contacted Hawk twice via their website about replacement parts, but never got a response. I sat on hold today for a phone representative for about 30 minutes. Once I finally connected with someone, they were super friendly and explained that "Hawk had a widespread problem with that suction cup design and had to re-engineer it. Due to this fact, the new style suction cups are on back order". They did go ahead and order me (2) sets, but couldn't forecast when I would receive them.

The company that handles Hawk's claims is GSM, who also handles a dozen other outdoor companies' customer service. It takes a long time to get through, but if you want to get some replacement suction cups, it's worth sitting on the phone. I utilized this time to work on some Amsteel Daisy Chains!! :D
I had the same issue and was told that I would receive replacements. I never received the new suction cups replacements. Good design; horrible quality & customer service!

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. Called customer service and they told me they could not replace them because its a "safety issue." I have a set of the three step sticks and the cups are rubber. They are great. These new cups are like malleable plastic and are terrible. Mine weren't even round when I got them. Terrible and very disappointed. They told me to return them and reorder a new set. But that doesn't solve the problem because I imagine the next set will break too. Very disappointed and now looking for another option to replace them.
99e2b582d8eabe694b46cecb16e01403.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My cups and buttons haven’t broken yet but they are close. Once that happens I’m not sure what I’ll do. Probably will try at least the camper door holder alternative thing. But part of me will be tempted just to move on with some other kind of sticks. The biggest reason I got heliums to begin with was for the button and suction cup system.

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. Called customer service and they told me they could not replace them because its a "safety issue." I have a set of the three step sticks and the cups are rubber. They are great. These new cups are like malleable plastic and are terrible. Mine weren't even round when I got them. Terrible and very disappointed. They told me to return them and reorder a new set. But that doesn't solve the problem because I imagine the next set will break too. Very disappointed and now looking for another option to replace them.
99e2b582d8eabe694b46cecb16e01403.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's exactly what mine look like. To be honest, I'm not sure if I do get the replacements if I'll even install them. Really liking the Titan straps lashing them to my RidgeRunner. Dead quiet and super easy to assemble/disassemble.

SADDLE STICKS & RR.jpg

That's exactly what mine look like. To be honest, I'm not sure if I do get the replacements if I'll even install them. Really liking the Titan straps lashing them to my RidgeRunner. Dead quiet and super easy to assemble/disassemble.

View attachment 37679

That looks like a great idea. I just ordered some of these sticks and already have a Ridge Runner, so I’m looking at different options to stack/ strap them all together. What length Titan straps are you using?

That looks like a great idea. I just ordered some of these sticks and already have a Ridge Runner, so I’m looking at different options to stack/ strap them all together. What length Titan straps are you using?

25”. I have my knee pad between sticks and platform.

Titan Industrial Straps – Safety Strap Set to Secure Splits, Cargo Bikes, Garden Hoses, Wood Working Projects – 70 lb. Working Load, 25" Length, Fluoro Orange, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W99MZ2P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K84KFb5BKKFB5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here is what we used to replace the broken posts on our sticks. Used Black Delrin to make them. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 22BDCF5A-5A25-454A-803A-8639F6F2D40A.png
    22BDCF5A-5A25-454A-803A-8639F6F2D40A.png
    589.8 KB · Views: 88
If someone with a set of calipers wanted to pm me some measurements I could most likely make a 3d printable replacement from petg, probably within a few days.

Edited because I didn't see the drawing above.

I machine my own, but if anyone wants you to print them I can send you a solid model
I didn't see your post until after I posted. If guys need them that would be awesome. I have a few random petg spools with not enough left in them for anything I typically print. They won't be as strong as turned delrin but they would probably be better than the originals by the sounds of it.

I took a Dremel tool to mine and just barely took a little bit off the inside of the female end. I have to strap em now to get em to hold together but at least I dont pull my arm out of socket gettin' em apart.

Wow, and I thought I was the only one. I had two male ends break off in the suction cups. Called Hawk twice. First guy said” no problem, I’ll send two out to you”. Never received them.
second call and the guy told me “ legally can not send any parts for that stick, set up a return from where you purchased“. it’s BS because that part has nothing to do with climbing. Anyway went to Midways website where I purchased and the item cannot be returned because it was dropped shipped.
To me this is a major issue and Hawk should make good on that part. Ill call again and ask about the redesigned parts. This really sucks ! No pun intended
in using straps with snap buckles, seems to be ok

Wow, and I thought I was the only one. I had two male ends break off in the suction cups. Called Hawk twice. First guy said” no problem, I’ll send two out to you”. Never received them.
second call and the guy told me “ legally can not send any parts for that stick, set up a return from where you purchased“. it’s BS because that part has nothing to do with climbing. Anyway went to Midways website where I purchased and the item cannot be returned because it was dropped shipped.
To me this is a major issue and Hawk should make good on that part. Ill call again and ask about the redesigned parts. This really sucks ! No pun intended
in using straps with snap buckles, seems to be ok

It’s worth staying on the phone until they agree to send you the replacement parts! Of course, I haven’t received mine yet and Lord knows when or if I actually will!!

Back