• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium vs. Muddy Pros

MathewsMan7

Climbing method last year:
-Full Length Hawk Heliums
-8 foot 7/64 Amsteel daisy chains over a @DanO Alumi Button
-DIY 20-inch mil-spec webbing aider on each step
This got my platform to 19-20 foot and typically took me anywhere from 12-16 minutes to climb safely and comfortably andbe ready to kill...I was extremely happy with that setup and planned on using that system again this year......until....

I randomly bought the muddy pros off camofire just to try them...because I’m very rich and have a bunch of extra money laying around to buy more things to climb trees

Tried them today for the first time and (without alders) was able to get my platform to 18 foot and be ready to kill in 9 minutes...not that it’s a race...IM NOT SAYING THAT...but for the first climb with new sticks, to cut that much time off, it’s significant...obviously they are heavier, but I’m a man...what’s a couple extra pounds if it makes my climb faster, but more importantly, safer and more efficient...there was so much less fiddle factor using the cam cleat and just made for an easier climb

if you’re on the fence about the muddy pros, get them...certainly worth trying out...that’s all.

I’m converting my helium’s to cam cleats.... is that the best of both worlds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Climbing method last year:
-Full Length Hawk Heliums
-8 foot 7/64 Amsteel daisy chains over a @DanO Alumi Button
-DIY 20-inch mil-spec webbing aider on each step
This got my platform to 19-20 foot and typically took me anywhere from 12-16 minutes to climb safely and comfortably andbe ready to kill...I was extremely happy with that setup and planned on using that system again this year......until....

I randomly bought the muddy pros off camofire just to try them...because I’m very rich and have a bunch of extra money laying around to buy more things to climb trees

Tried them today for the first time and (without alders) was able to get my platform to 18 foot and be ready to kill in 9 minutes...not that it’s a race...IM NOT SAYING THAT...but for the first climb with new sticks, to cut that much time off, it’s significant...obviously they are heavier, but I’m a man...what’s a couple extra pounds if it makes my climb faster, but more importantly, safer and more efficient...there was so much less fiddle factor using the cam cleat and just made for an easier climb

if you’re on the fence about the muddy pros, get them...certainly worth trying out...that’s all.

I had muddy pros for a long time and they are cool sticks. If they could find a way to cut that weight in half they would be awesome.

I’ll post results when I get everything together

You definitely should...remember how you put them together so you can explain it to me if they end up working out well for you

Are they steel? Why are they so heavy?
The weight is in the folding steps.
a77e8491648d4d4f5a8509e071e291b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’m converting my helium’s to cam cleats.... is that the best of both worlds?

I’m new to climbing sticks but just picked up an older cut down hawk helium and think I want to do the same - what kind of rope/cam are you using?

You definitely should...remember how you put them together so you can explain it to me if they end up working out well for you

I’m new to sticks and agree the helium with clear seems like the ticket - seems like someone would’ve tried it already, no?

I’m new to sticks and agree the helium with clear seems like the ticket - seems like someone would’ve tried it already, no?

People have...I believe one of the issues is stacking them once you put the cleats on...so some have installed them on the side of the stick which compromises their stability. I don’t really know to be honest. Just felt like I’ve read some threads in the past on installing them and I want to say that those were the main issues.

People have...I believe one of the issues is stacking them once you put the cleats on...so some have installed them on the side of the stick which compromises their stability. I don’t really know to be honest. Just felt like I’ve read some threads in the past on installing them and I want to say that those were the main issues.

10-4. I’m looking at it for one sticking so stacking is a non issue. Sounds like @Rebel_1125 is further along than I am but I’ll circle back if I make any progress

Gotta be honest, love my muddy pros. They are heavier than other sticks that size, but they are quick and they set to the tree well.

I’m new to climbing sticks but just picked up an older cut down hawk helium and think I want to do the same - what kind of rope/cam are you using?

I ordered the Harken Micro cam cleats and some 6mm Sterling rope from DanO.

If there is a stacking issue I’m sure what can solve it. I’ll post pics and methods here. Looks like it won’t be finished until later this week.

I think one problem is that you can cut weight with daisy chains or versa straps but it's more fiddle factor IMO. I tried the versa straps and ended up selling them. I can see the ropes and cleats being faster.

I think one problem is that you can cut weight with daisy chains or versa straps but it's more fiddle factor IMO. I tried the versa straps and ended up selling them. I can see the ropes and cleats being faster.

Yeah I bet that will be my conclusion as well. I have versa straps on them but they are not quick or easy (they take some fiddling to get on and get set) vs just jamming the rope in and a couple half hitches.

The micro cam cleats are just a bit tall to stack the sticks because of the hardware sticking out the back. For now I am just offsetting them vertically on the stick so they don’t interfere with each other, but I could see counter sinking a nut in the backside if you wanted them all in the exact same spot on each stick. Still waiting on the rope.

0c880c4a540da38d087db1b3254e8b56.jpg

Back