• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk ROS

HaHaHa, several of us were a couple years ahead of them using cut off Hawk ends. :tearsofjoy: I will say that is a heavy bundle of steps.

The 1 piece ones would be very good for my 12 step climbing system (shaving around 1.5 lbs off of it), but Hawk always lies pretty bad on their weight measurements. Also, I'd be afraid that the edges would be rough and cut my amsteel attachment system. I probably could put them in a tumbler or something though/smooth the edges somehow. I'll probably buy a 4 step set once available to check it out. Thanks for posting or it wouldn't be on my radar.

The 1 piece ones would be very good for my 12 step climbing system (shaving around 1.5 lbs off of it), but Hawk always lies pretty bad on their weight measurements. Also, I'd be afraid that the edges would be rough and cut my amsteel attachment system. I probably could put them in a tumbler or something though/smooth the edges somehow. I'll probably buy a 4 step set once available to check it out. Thanks for posting or it wouldn't be on my radar.
One could say with quite certainty that the quality is going to be lacking and of course if there’s an issue customer service will be non existent but hawk knows if the can make a product that looks like and somewhat functions like a more expensive version they are going to sell a lot of them.
That being said the folding ones are actually something I haven’t seen before and would like to try a couple on an ocb to go with my scout. Pack ability would be great.

One could say with quite certainty that the quality is going to be lacking and of course if there’s an issue customer service will be non existent but hawk knows if the can make a product that looks like and somewhat functions like a more expensive version they are going to sell a lot of them.
That being said the folding ones are actually something I haven’t seen before and would like to try a couple on an ocb to go with my scout. Pack ability would be great.

They are going to be lower quality, extruded aluminum cut off a playdoh fun factory piece and then not heat treated or with the edges smoothed (I can't remember the term of taking the edge off a 90 degree using a honing stone or something).

After the cruzr platform thread got locked and I lost my morning entertainment I took @Weldabeast and chopped my stick and made a 12” stick with flat scout and 2 folding steps. Love the stick and platform. Jury is still out on the steps. They like to twist a little. I think if the strap was closer to the step it would be better but then they wouldn’t fold up.
I understand the potential safety concerns with such modifications but any suggestions on how to improve greatly appreciated.

They like to twist a little.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. That's why I ended bolting two together when I made a ring of steps from the cutoffs. That made for a wider base and they didn't twist as much. It also gave me a wider foot placement. Problem is it made them twice as heavy. It's one of those grand "idear's" I ultimately gave up on.

Back