• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawks “Hangout Tree Seat “

Slowclimb53

I am completely new to saddle hunting and came across hawks “hangout tree seat” it’s rated for 300 lbs and it says for ground use only. With the safety equipment used in saddle hunting could this be used For a platform. There may be safety issues I’m overlooking or just don’t know.

3000_HANGOUT_Studio_1_High_Res__95020.1524856102.1280.1280__82310.1531338691.jpg

I have one that I am in the process of tweaking for this purpose. Basically, they only part of this that will work is the actual seat. Start by scrapping the tree brackets as a minimum. They suck at handling side pressure. Replace with lone wolf, XOP, or Double Step brackets. You will need to drill a hole in the post below the strap or completely replace the post with one made from 6061 Aluminum. The seat will handle the side pressure better with better tree brackets and moving the seat lower on a post. There are other threads on here that go over this. I am new to saddle hunting and following some of the other threads as I build mine. My build is not complete yet. But this will get you started.

If you already have one I'd say yeah go for it but if your gonna purchase this for a platform Id say dont do it. They arent stable and dont handle weight well in general not just side pressure. They feel flimsy and weak and they have to be heavily modded just to barely function as a platform. I understand not wanting to spend the money on a predator or something similar. I didnt. I have made a few DIY platforms. Maybe you should explore that route. I did and I feel it suited me best.

I have my post and tree brackets from Double Steps assembled. Just have to get the platform seat on and try it it in a few different positions to find what works right for me.

Here is my build so far. Needs a camo wrap or paint but it is almost done. Brackets from Double Steps and the post is from Online Metals. I used the strap that came with the Hang Out seat to try it on the tree. I will be replacing it as the ratchet is loud.

33c8d3b105bd3eb09691fb67ca5cf2d4.jpg
006958ec1583e8b80b8344fa5cf0ea51.jpg

61246dfd038f1d4ace7850a30968b31e.jpg
aeb1ade526fe5c3289b1235c4fd1a6c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one that I'm in the process of a very minor redesign to allow the seat to be used to cam lock to the tree. It should also allow for the removal of the strap and ratchet. I will post results.

I have one that I'm in the process of a very minor redesign to allow the seat to be used to cam lock to the tree. It should also allow for the removal of the strap and ratchet. I will post results.
Sounds interesting. Post pics when you are done.

There's about s dozen threads on this already. Just whatever you go with test it at low level. The general consensus time and time again is that for the weight and the amount of effort required to make them work so so, it not worth it. The $35ish price tag is a bit misleading.

Not to beat a dead horse but I picked up one for cheap, tried multiple different configurations/straps and couldn't get it tight to a tree. I weigh 225lbs. if that helps anyone.

Back