• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heater Suit - Design Challenge

Psomeone

Anyone in the Cold hunting for the day is always looking for a better way to stay warm and with the skill at thread injection ingenuity figured this would be a good place to drop this challenge. The Body Heater Suit or version of it is warm from all accounts on the internet but is a budget killer when there are so many other toys out there. Besides the DIY crew here is brilliant and Heater suits are not setup for saddle hunting.

Needs way for bridge to go though it
Solves the cold Rear Problem
Easy on off in tree? or possible to climb with on, requires access to linesmen loops?

This is the first version I want to play with to see how it works setup for 6'2" 220# roughly 36"x 32" pant so your dims might be different, Nice part of this is it takes 2 yards of each fabric if 60" wide to make it. You can try to guess the materials from the beginning of this clip.

I'm thinking for my first on:
Camo outer something light (for cool camo outer)
Rip stop (for wind)
Polyester fill maybe 1"-1-1/2" (No water absorption)
Soft quiet inner material

Attachments

• Suit.JPG
    Suit.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 147
  • Suit.PDF
    13.8 KB · Views: 43
I modded my hbs to work with saddle. Your pattern looks to be open on top and bottom? I made a hbs out of a military bag, sucked being open on the bottom(draft).

I modded my hbs to work with saddle. Your pattern looks to be open on top and bottom? I made a hbs out of a military bag, sucked being open on the bottom(draft).
Finding it's still not cheap to make one of these. Good advice, trying to figure out best way before I splurge on materials. Had thought of using bibs so I had the pattern before starting. get 2 sizes bigger and add significant insulation.

Not at all trying to squelch any DIY spirit. I have on & started to mod it b/c when it’s all said & done it’s still less than a premium bib & jacket combo by a good amount. Plus I like to dress light & just cook in that thing. I haven’t cut the feet off but have slits for the bridge....

I bought some windproof fabric and attached it to a hvy fleece throw. Use it like a wrap and have been toasty in 20mph 20 degree weather.

I bought some windproof fabric and attached it to a hvy fleece throw. Use it like a wrap and have been toasty in 20mph 20 degree weather.
I'm getting closer to this idea cost wise, was supposed to be cheap warm option. What did you use for the wind stopper? Rip stop? Cordura?

I was thinking of "puffy" pants that goes over your boots and up to about mid chest height. I never got around to making it though as I bought a Sitka fanatic suit last year and never got cold hunting in Wisconsin.

I like your diy idea though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My mom made me one of these a few years back (she's an old school quilter and used to strange requests from her nearly 40 year old son...) It's got a single boxed foot area and has both a zipper and a couple magnets sewn in to keep together while unzipped. I need to make some cuts in it to adjust for using with a saddle. We started with about 4 yards of camo material and some quilt batting. It's really warm, but we probably should have looked into some sort of wind resistant material. Overall, it's worked really well, just never transitioned it to saddle use. Yet.

My mom made me one of these a few years back (she's an old school quilter and used to strange requests from her nearly 40 year old son...) It's got a single boxed foot area and has both a zipper and a couple magnets sewn in to keep together while unzipped. I need to make some cuts in it to adjust for using with a saddle. We started with about 4 yards of camo material and some quilt batting. It's really warm, but we probably should have looked into some sort of wind resistant material. Overall, it's worked really well, just never transitioned it to saddle use. Yet.
Was thinking the same cheap warmth, maybe layer of rip stop between batting and outside layer for wind?

Was thinking the same cheap warmth, maybe layer of rip stop between batting and outside layer for wind?
Yeah, it's worked well, I just need to do a little refining. We made it with some heavy cotton Max 4 camo that I had leftover from a kayak blind for ducks, so it tends to blob out a lot in a tree. Might need some light colors added or some 3D.

A wind blocking layer would be nice, but not critical IMO. Mine doesn't necessarily need a blocking layer due to the heavy cotton layers, but if you could plan it out like you are and make it a little lighter weight, a barrier would help out a lot. I'll try to remember to post a pic at some point.

If you use ripstop for wind protection, make sure to order calendered. Regular, non-calendered is not wind proof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't , i did sew a loop on one side and passed a rope through it. When using in the tree i can wrap it around me and tie the rope around my waist.

I looked at a body suit at fleet farm.
It has zippers for the arms to come out for shooting or climbing.
I will have to cut slits to run rope bridge thru and lineman's too.
$350
It's heavy but pretty well made. Probably going to buy one.

Anyone in the Cold hunting for the day is always looking for a better way to stay warm and with the skill at thread injection ingenuity figured this would be a good place to drop this challenge. The Body Heater Suit or version of it is warm from all accounts on the internet but is a budget killer when there are so many other toys out there. Besides the DIY crew here is brilliant and Heater suits are not setup for saddle hunting.

Needs way for bridge to go though it
Solves the cold Rear Problem
Easy on off in tree? or possible to climb with on, requires access to linesmen loops?

This is the first version I want to play with to see how it works setup for 6'2" 220# roughly 36"x 32" pant so your dims might be different, Nice part of this is it takes 2 yards of each fabric if 60" wide to make it. You can try to guess the materials from the beginning of this clip.

I'm thinking for my first on:
Camo outer something light (for cool camo outer)
Rip stop (for wind)
Polyester fill maybe 1"-1-1/2" (No water absorption)
Soft quiet inner material
What program are you using for your plans?

I looked at a body suit at fleet farm.
It has zippers for the arms to come out for shooting or climbing.
I will have to cut slits to run rope bridge thru and lineman's too.
$350
It's heavy but pretty well made. Probably going to buy one.
I looked on their web page and couldn't find it.

Google Artic shield realtree edge body suit fleet farm.
I missed these on sale last fall like 40% off

Back