• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heavy arrow build

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
I'm jumping in the heavy arrow train. Here's my planned setup.

297 g - Day 6 300 @ 26.5" (11.2 gpi)
100 g - Day 6 concentric outset
125 g - broadhead (slick tricks and a few single bevel 2 blades - I'll figure out which one I like most)
20 g - Nocturnal Lighted nock
27 g - AAE Max Stealth vanes (9.2 g ea)
________
569 grains

I haven't built my own arrows in a long time...probably 7 or 8 years. I think I'm going to film the process and try to help guys like me who are inexperienced with this process. Should be fun!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Following....what bow are you shooting these days?

I shoot 520 from my triax and have great groups 80+ yds with broadheads. Hits like a truck. I would like even more head weight but that’s how these shafts tuned out and I hate tuning so that’s where mine will stay.

The high foc is great for fixed broadheads.

I'm jumping on this train as well. Just weighing all the different options. Been watching "The Ranch Fairy" on YouTube. If he's breaking pigs in half I think these heavy arrows will put down whitetails in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Remember when using a single bevel to match your helical. Most broadheads are right and most people shoot right helical but not everyone. If you shot a left helical and buy a right single bevel you will loose energy and not get the penetration your hoping to get from that amazing set up.

Like @michigandrake mentioned it is not just about weight the GPI on that shaft is high so your FOC will be low. The shorter shaft length will not help either. When going heavy I look for min. 15% FOC but prefer 18% or higher. Although you are at 14% but if you went with lighter vanes and went with a 150 or a 175 grain head you would tip over 16%. Something to test with field points before you lock down on your broadheads.

This will still be a great set up; its more personal preference on higher FOC. I am still not fully on board (more from lack of testing on my part) with extreme FOC 22% plus. This summer I hope to get out and test it though.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm working through everything as far as point weight etc. I wanted a heavier arrow so I could shoot readily available Broadheads. I don't want to be locked into a 150 or 200 grain head that I have to order. What happens on a trip if something goes south? I want to be able to run to walmart in a pinch and buy new heads.

And foc is less important to me than overall weight. I'll have decent FOC with this setup. It seems like high teens is the "magic formula".

Yeah I'm working through everything as far as point weight etc. I wanted a heavier arrow so I could shoot readily available Broadheads. I don't want to be locked into a 150 or 200 grain head that I have to order. What happens on a trip if something goes south? I want to be able to run to walmart in a pinch and buy new heads.

And foc is less important to me than overall weight. I'll have decent FOC with this setup. It seems like high teens is the "magic formula".

I am with you on this. I like to be able to use all of my old broadheads and buy any new ones coming out. I hunt hogs and turkey as well as deer, and like being able to use the 100s. This is working well for me.

The best part for me of a heavier arrow was the ease of tuning and broadhead flight. I've never had a problem with penetration at 70/30.

Hot melting in your inserts and or the fact weight style inserts make sense to me for on the fly adjustability. Run different point weights and maintain the same total weight, and FoC.

All great points. I prefer 150 and higher heads because they are structurally stronger. Now that being said I am not able to hunt all over the place so I can see how that could be a problem when those weights are not standard.

Thats aexactly why my arrows are the way they are. I can get slick trick standard 100grns anywhere. Using the big brass inserts I am still getting 14% foc. Can’t complain.

I'm jumping in the heavy arrow train. Here's my planned setup.

297 g - Day 6 300 @ 26.5" (11.2 gpi)
100 g - Day 6 concentric outset
125 g - broadhead (slick tricks and a few single bevel 2 blades - I'll figure out which one I like most)
20 g - Nocturnal Lighted nock
27 g - AAE Max Stealth vanes (9.2 g ea)
________
569 grains

I haven't built my own arrows in a long time...probably 7 or 8 years. I think I'm going to film the process and try to help guys like me who are inexperienced with this process. Should be fun!

Looks like a solid build! I hunted with 532 grain arrows over the past 18 months, impressive results. I’m bumping it up a little to 580 grains. Not because I think it’s necessary, just because I like to tinker.

I like the heavy insert plan, it offers good flexibility on BH choice. I’m using 75 grain inserts with a 25 grain Iron Will footer. With 125 grain broadheads I’m still able to get to almost 17% FOC.

Good luck!

cb1109279535c8f2b64ddf6cb83893fc.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm also building a new dozen for my wheel bow. Shooting a Prime Alloy, 62#, 29.5' 300 spine GT Hunter XT XTRA- 321 gr, 100 gr brass insert and 150 Cutthroat single bevel, along with lighted nock. Total should be 600-605, still in the nock tuning phase. FOC calculator shows 16.3%. A good jump from my 400 grain twizzler and flapper sticks...

in the process as well. did the testing with two arrows 250 and 300 spine and the ranch fairy test pack.
my bow liked the 250 grain point.
shooting it at 220 fps
total arrow weight approx 680 grains
30" 250 arrow
100 grain insert
250 grain broadhead
lighted nock
3 vanes

FOC of 19 according to Ed Ashby, is where you see an exponential gain in penetration. Just as important as arrow weight. It’s not too difficult to add weight and increase FOC to 19 and greater. Arrow tuning is the part that takes more effort.
I look forward to a video if you do that.

FOC of 19 according to Ed Ashby, is where you see an exponential gain in penetration. Just as important as arrow weight. It’s not too difficult to add weight and increase FOC to 19 and greater. Arrow tuning is the part that takes more effort.
I look forward to a video if you do that.

Yes I've seen his work. Ranch Fairy is basically an Ashby disciple.

My logic is I can always add weight up front if I need to for more FOC. But even if I choose to shoot more standard and readily available heads, my arrow will still be strong. I think I may have to try a couple different arrows out in the end. Who cares? It's only money. Can't take it with you and I'm sure not leaving it for my kids!

Yes I've seen his work. Ranch Fairy is basically an Ashby disciple.

My logic is I can always add weight up front if I need to for more FOC. But even if I choose to shoot more standard and readily available heads, my arrow will still be strong. I think I may have to try a couple different arrows out in the end. Who cares? It's only money. Can't take it with you and I'm sure not leaving it for my kids!

My kids have already taken all mine.

Back