• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heavy Arrows

Spence71

Anyone try the momentum set ups? Liking to get into a heavy arrow and for about the same price for me to build a set i can buy theirs ready to fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone try the momentum set ups? Liking to get into a heavy arrow and for about the same price for me to build a set i can buy theirs ready to fire.

Victory xtorsion ss
75 grain hit inserts
100 grain head
Nocturnal lighted 636 grains

This is my first year going heavy
This build shoots so well out of the bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you asking about the GrizzlyStik momentum TDT arrows?

I haven’t shot the momentum’s but I have a good friend who kills 2 big bucks every year and has shot momentum’s with a grizzly stick massai single bevel for years and years. He says he’s never broke an arrow and they’re awesome

That will kill anything in North America graveyard dead.Just dont understand what everyone thinks they are gonna gain.But i can assure you that they are gonna lose the advantage of a flatter trajectory.JMO

U gain kinetic energy and ability to go thru bone should the arrow deflect off of a branch or animal move etc.
It happens to everyone
If u listen to reports on it then it will make sense

Throw a baseball at someone from 10 ft away
Throw a bowling ball at someone from 10 ft away

Which one is doing more damage ?

I too thought it was hype last year but after researching for the last few months it makes sense and I’m applying it to my process

Think about the saddle movement
A few years ago people thought we were crazy
Last year had slow growth
This year everyone’s talking about it

Give it time

I haven’t shot the momentum’s but I have a good friend who kills 2 big bucks every year and has shot momentum’s with a grizzly stick massai single bevel for years and years. He says he’s never broke an arrow and they’re awesome

GuffDawg shoots em ask him

I used heavy arrows w high FOC % when I hunted w recurves for a few years. But I got tired of missing deer because I misjudged a target by 5 yards.

Full disclosure, I was attempting to hunt w instinctive shooting. But even when shooting close range at targets the impact to trajectory was unmistakeable.

The heavy arrow isn’t a new thing.

The idea with the heavy arrows was to make up for velocity (momentum is the product of mass and velocity). But what’s often missed is that more of the energy from the bow tends to be transferred to the arrow if it’s heavier so there’s an efficiency gain. This is where the baseball/bowling ball standpoint is analogous. And with the recurves that I was shooting the efficiency gains meant a quieter bow. Which was even more important with arrows traveling at not much better than 1/2 the speed of compound bows. Or less, truth be told.

But where the baseball/bowling ball is not analogous is momentum to cut through a target. Unless we’re talking Cape buffalo or elephants. It’s about cutting, not pounding, right? Pounding is what bullets are all about. Prior to my little rendezvous w the recurves I hunted for a few decades w compound bows and killed deer about every year. It’s not as if the more standard arrow weights are shattering into pieces and being stopped by bone.

I’m not at all trying to discourage from trying different things and testing and all that, if nothing else you’ll discover some helpful things along the way.

What’s worth pursuing in my estimation is increasing FOC. Main reason - stability. On the recurves the higher FOC arrows will fly like darts. Big deal when you’re shooting off the shelf on a recurve, maybe an advantage for a center shot arrow if it bumps a twig on the way to its intended target.

That, of course, means the arrows will get heavier and you will impact trajectory but not as drastically. Without any testing at all, when I switched back to compound I started with a hunting arrow, 9+ grain/inch, a 125 gr head and a 35 gr outsert on the front. I think I ended up with around 450 grain arrow. Works great. I screwed on one of my 225 gr field point that matches the weight of my single bevel Steelforce battle axes and it landed lower than the other arrows with actually a little LESS penetration observed.

Meaning my bow is shooting the arrow w 125 gr at near max efficiency.

Are you asking about the GrizzlyStik momentum TDT arrows?

Yep. That’s them.

And the analogy I heard was put two cement trucks at the top of a hill. One empty. One full. Now roll them into the same building see which one does more damage.

I’ve got 2 bows and am setting one up to shoot heavier-ish and the other for the standard with 125 grain broad heads.

By the time I buy the inserts, broadheads and such on a descent arrow, I’m looking at 150 ish for 6. Those aren’t too much more.

Really.... saddle check. Repel gear and one stick check. Leased land with a lot of short trees.

My wallet is feeling left out this season. Hahahahah

That will kill anything in North America graveyard dead.Just dont understand what everyone thinks they are gonna gain.But i can assure you that they are gonna lose the advantage of a flatter trajectory.JMO
I’ll chime in. I’ve hunted the longest with my old tried and true setup, 100gr montecs on 340 spine 11gr sticks. Deer were getting killed and I was getting pass through but only with that perfect shot, which we all know doesn’t happen often. Say what you want about ranch fairy but he does provoke thought. I figured what the heck and started messing around. Built a 150gr buzzcut with 150gr inserts and 341gr sticks for a 650ish arrow. I sent one at my block target. My old arrow woulda penetrated halfway. At same distance about 15 yards the new arrow went completely through the target, through 2 sheets of 1/2” mdf and stuck a good 1/2” into the pallet behind , only the fletching was showing in the target. I don’t shoot beyond 40 yards so I think I’ll stick with this new setup. Now there is almost no such thing as a bad shot if I can hit vitals and it’s ethical.

I’ll chime in. I’ve hunted the longest with my old tried and true setup, 100gr montecs on 340 spine 11gr sticks. Deer were getting killed and I was getting pass through but only with that perfect shot, which we all know doesn’t happen often. Say what you want about ranch fairy but he does provoke thought. I figured what the heck and started messing around. Built a 150gr buzzcut with 150gr inserts and 341gr sticks for a 650ish arrow. I sent one at my block target. My old arrow woulda penetrated halfway. At same distance about 15 yards the new arrow went completely through the target, through 2 sheets of 1/2” mdf and stuck a good 1/2” into the pallet behind , only the fletching was showing in the target. I don’t shoot beyond 40 yards so I think I’ll stick with this new setup. Now there is almost no such thing as a bad shot if I can hit vitals and it’s ethical.

Exactly!
Thanks for sharing

What kind of targets are you guys using for broadheads with the heavy arrow setups? My arrows with field points are blowing through my Black Hole target. Rural King has the Morrell High Roller, Rinehart 18-1, and Rinehart Woodland block. Leaning towards the High Roller. But also considerd this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L0DUJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0zHmFbD2WDK8H because I'm using an EZ V sight.

What kind of targets are you guys using for broadheads with the heavy arrow setups? My arrows with field points are blowing through my Black Hole target. Rural King has the Morrell High Roller, Rinehart 18-1, and Rinehart Woodland block. Leaning towards the High Roller. But also considerd this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L0DUJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0zHmFbD2WDK8H because I'm using an EZ V sight.

Actually just ordered the Lil Buddy one because my wife was going to order something else on Amazon. For the price it's not a huge loss if I shoot it up.

That exactly what I was just thinking. My light arrows are passing thru my block now but it’s a year old and rather Swiss cheese-ish. Can’t imaging what 2-3 of those of weight in the same spot would do. Hahaha

Guys i
Guys i aint saying you wont get deeper penetration You obviously will and if you like you can measure how deep in the dirt your arrow is where you just shot under the deer you were shooting at that you misjudged by 3 yards.LOL Just picking boys Carry on as I will continue to knock the dirt out of my broadheads after they zip through ones ribs.I am just saying you can shoot a deer with a broom handle if you like but at what point is the trade off for extra penetration a detriment.I have never heard a fella say that he missed a deer because he didn’t get enough penetration.Now missed the yardage...... That is another story

I have never had an issue. I am shooting 400-450 grains with a coc head. I am not sure if I want to bury the arrow any deeper into the dirt after pass thru... :D
It will improve your arrow flight, quieten your bow, and will make it more forgiving (like torquing your grip and such). If you've not tried it, I'd strongly suggest that you do.

Arrows flying straight and hitting square are more important than weight. With that said I took the time this year to do both and I’ve never had FP and any FB fly together. (Which is why I always shot mechs out of an untuned bow). But with time and Tuning I’m hitting square then I added about 150 grains to my setup :)

Back