• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium Stick Modification - a closer look

Thanks for the video Dave. You make some great points on the "benefits" of your mods.

I have some info to add to this post. I did the versa button mod and drilled the bottom to guide the 2 bolts Dave pointed out. I could only find the versa button with the exposed allen head bolt. I was going to throw it on the drill press and counter sink it, but felt there was a benefit to using it as an alignment pin like LW. I used a 3/8" drill bit for the versa button clearance hole and a 1/4" for the rear 2 bolts. I used duct tape on the stick i was marking. I aligned where i wanted the hole for the versa button with one stick on top of the other and smacked it with a rubber hammer. This transfered the head of the versa button bolt location to the tape. I then center punched and drilled. I used 1/4" first and followed that up with the 3/8". I only went deep enough to allow the whole head to drop into the stick. Once that was done, i put tape on other end, inserted the versa button bolt in the other stick and whacked it to transfer the 2 bolts to the tape. This wasnt a hard mod in my opinion. Thanks for the idea Dave!

Dave, I am curious why you did not go with the muddy sticks. They have steps on both sides, are 20" between steps and the pieces that grip the trees can rotate for crooked trees.

I am curious about your thought process of choosing the helium and modding over choosing the muddy.

Do I understand correctly that you moved the metal steps up after cutting them?

Also, why did you feel the need to cut them off to just two steps?

I had the Muddy sticks and sold them to buy these but I have not done any mods other than adding ladder steps.

One reason is the slots in the very outside portion of the Hawk steps let me put the webbing in there and keep them off of the tree better and have "built in" separation.

Attachments

• Helium Bottom Step Strap.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 724
  • Helium Step Straps.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 689
DaveT1963 said:
Helium are far lighter

My stealth stripped Muddy is 2.8 lbs. I weighed it with an electronic bow draw weight scale.

how much do your modified heliums weigh?

cloudbaseracer said:

I had the Muddy sticks and sold them to buy these but I have not done any mods other than adding ladder steps.

One reason is the slots in the very outside portion of the Hawk steps let me put the webbing in there and keep them off of the tree better and have "built in" separation.

How much do you weigh? I like the idea, but it scares me at my weight. :shock:

sojourner said:
DaveT1963 said:
Helium are far lighter

My stealth stripped Muddy is 2.8 lbs. I weighed it with an electronic bow draw weight scale.

20" muddy is listed at 3lbs. Their newer long sticks are also listed at 3lbs, so they must have figured out a way to make them lighter. Helium sticks are listed at 2.8lbs, then Dave removed the belt/buckle/bracket, a portion of the main stick, 2 steps and related hardware. He added a Versa button and amsteel rope which has a crazy strength to weight ratio. He added a single step using 1" tubular webbing and thin wall plastic tubing as well. Dave is hunting hard right now, but Im also curious what his sticks weigh.

I have Heliums that i modded identical to DaveTs as well i dont have a scale accurate enough to tell you how much they weigh but the main reason i cut them down is because having them 6 inches shorter makes a big difference when i am packing them through the brush.

I have been using the 1 stick method when i am walking the mountains and having a compact setup has made a huge difference.

kenn1320 said:
sojourner said:
DaveT1963 said:
Helium are far lighter

20" muddy is listed at 3lbs. Their newer long sticks are also listed at 3lbs, so they must have figured out a way to make them lighter. Helium sticks are listed at 2.8lbs, then Dave removed the belt/buckle/bracket, a portion of the main stick, 2 steps and related hardware. He added a Versa button and amsteel rope which has a crazy strength to weight ratio. He added a single step using 1" tubular webbing and thin wall plastic tubing as well. Dave is hunting hard right now, but Im also curious what his sticks weigh.

Thanks Kenn. I might forego making mods with my weight. I was curious why not use muddy's. If it is just a matter of weight, I'll stick with the Muddy's and go on a diet. :)

The mods do sound nice though.

ADKMtnTrapper said:
I have Heliums that i modded identical to DaveTs as well i dont have a scale accurate enough to tell you how much they weigh but the main reason i cut them down is because having them 6 inches shorter makes a big difference when i am packing them through the brush.

I have been using the 1 stick method when i am walking the mountains and having a compact setup has made a huge difference.

Thanks. I like the muddy's when using the GW, as they are shorter. I am in the middle of making a three step aider so I can try the 1 stick method.

How many step aider do you use with the shorter Helium? And what are spaces between steps?

I plan on three step aider with 16" between steps.

kenn1320 said:
sojourner said:
DaveT1963 said:
Helium are far lighter

I think Dave has said that his stick setup is about 6 pounds, but I'm also interested to here what he says each stick ways to confirm. Ken, did you do this mod yet? I have the sticks and my versa buttons but I want to fool around and optimize the length of my sticks compared to Dave's cause I'm a bit shorter but this project is still a bit further down the list :lol: . If you have cut your sticks PM me because I have a thought.

kenn1320 said:
cloudbaseracer said:

Kenn,

I am 180lbs but I am not exactly sure what you are worried about. These aiders are Alpinist grade and made to hold weight so it will be fine.

Thanks,
James

cloudbaseracer said:
kenn1320 said:
cloudbaseracer said:

Kenn,

I am 180lbs but I am not exactly sure what you are worried about. These aiders are Alpinist grade and made to hold weight so it will be fine.

Thanks,
James

Im worried about one of the steps breaking, not the aider. I think there is a different bending moment on the step based on where your connected, but maybe not.

kenn1320 said:
cloudbaseracer said:
kenn1320 said:

Kenn,

Thanks,
James

Im worried about one of the steps breaking, not the aider. I think there is a different bending moment on the step based on where your connected, but maybe not.
I had the same thought when I saw how they are connected. It is probably fine, but it is putting more stress on the step with all of the weight at the tip of the step.

I did the rope mod and single aider, but haven't cut the stick yet. Dave uses 21" between his steps and Im taller than him. However with cold weather gear, Im not sure I can go longer between steps. In shorts and camo crocks I can leave the sticks full length and just use the top and bottom steps. :lol:

kenn1320 said:
I did the rope mod and single aider, but haven't cut the stick yet. Dave uses 21" between his steps and Im taller than him. However with cold weather gear, Im not sure I can go longer between steps. In shorts and camo crocks I can leave the sticks full length and just use the top and bottom steps. :lol:

LOL. I don't think I can go 21" between steps without cold weather gear, I'm going to have to test. Anyways, my thought it to make strap on steps out of the cut off portion and the extra steps. The stick already has slots cut into it so all you have to do is thread some webbing through there. Probably have to drill a new spot for the step to attach. The disadvantage is the fairly narrow width of the stick but I think it just might work.

I'm in Ohio but I believe my sticks are just under 2# per stick with rope. I like the step design much better then the muddy and they are lighter

Back