• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from Carlisle, Ohio

Bowman31

Hello new to this hoping to come in contact with some experienced saddle hunters in the SW portion of Ohio to help me out. Used saddle just got the trophy line platform. Kinda wanting to know what connections and tethers to get

Welcome from Maryland! So do you have anything for ropes? You just need a bridge on your saddle ( should have one) , tree tether to connect to bridge & linesman belt ( so just 2 ropes plus your bridge)

Welcome from Maryland! So do you have anything for ropes? You just need a bridge on your saddle ( should have one) , tree tether to connect to bridge & linesman belt ( so just 2 ropes plus your bridge)
No not yet, I’m a bigger guy so was going to ask what would be good for me

Howdy
I'm about an hour North of Pittsburgh, if you're ever coming this way get a hold of me.
I live on 160 acres wayy out in the country and I have a pile of saddle huntin stuff to play around with...

No not yet, I’m a bigger guy so was going to ask what would be good for me
Your going to get a whole lot of personal preference answers, but for just starting out. I’d grab a pair of ropes from TL & see what you really like. It’s a good diameter from a feeling perspective especially if your just starting out. You will feel kind of uneasy with say on Oplux out of the gate, it’s mental but there’s so many new components to your system you have to build trust through experience.
If you change your mind down the road these sewn eyes will be easy to sell.

Hello from Mi!
What kinda climbing method do you think you will use? There are lot of options. You can keep it simple, or get a little more into it. What ever your comfort level is. The sewn eye with the prussic knot is time tested proven like @Bigterp posted. Or you can get into mechanical devices, longer made stuff if your gonna one stick, or multi use your repelling rope. It's hard to find someone with the same set up as you cause everyone has a little different something. Just check your equipment before you climb. Go slow.

Hello new to this hoping to come in contact with some experienced saddle hunters in the SW portion of Ohio to help me out. Used saddle just got the trophy line platform. Kinda wanting to know what connections and tethers to get
Hey from Dayton.

Welcome from Maine! Don't forget, safety first. Always practice from ground level before going to hunting height. It's a lot easier getting out of a jam that way :)

Hello from Mi!
What kinda climbing method do you think you will use? There are lot of options. You can keep it simple, or get a little more into it. What ever your comfort level is. The sewn eye with the prussic knot is time tested proven like @Bigterp posted. Or you can get into mechanical devices, longer made stuff if your gonna one stick, or multi use your repelling rope. It's hard to find someone with the same set up as you cause everyone has a little different something. Just check your equipment before you climb. Go slow.
Sticks, I have lone Wolf and XOP sticks

Southeast Ohio here. Dont get your way much except for when I'm at Washington court house or Jeffersonville for state trapper association events. Though they aren't exactly SW. So that's about three times a year.

Your going to get a whole lot of personal preference answers, but for just starting out. I’d grab a pair of ropes from TL & see what you really like. It’s a good diameter from a feeling perspective especially if your just starting out. You will feel kind of uneasy with say on Oplux out of the gate, it’s mental but there’s so many new components to your system you have to build trust through experience.
If you change your mind down the road these sewn eyes will be easy to sell.
Thank you

Back