• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello From MD

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Good morning, I've been lurking for a while and figured it was time to say hi. I haven't successfully shot a deer yet (spent a few mornings in PA but don't have a doe tag and that's all I saw), but hope to change that soon this season. I've gone all in on saddle hunting this week, have a predator XL (did not say backordered, we'll see?), Latitude Method , Oplux/rollnlocks, Hawk Heliums all ordered. This site sure does a number on the bank account!

I plan to try to make a public land reservation for saturday morning (PG county if anyone's local) and attempt to hunt from the ground since likely none of this will have arrived (well, my oval carabiners arrived but can't do much with just that!). it'll likely be more of a scouting mission since I'm a newbie but looking forward to it.

Welcome from SE Wisconsin! I, too, have found diving into saddle hunting is a fun way to tweak my mobile setup and shave weight, but it can take a toll on the wallet. Good luck!

Oplux came in the mail today (ordered two sewn eyes after seeing the reviews here, glad I did after reading the fall thread, very fast shipping but that's for another area)... Cue the typical ehrmahgawd looks so thin but I like it reaction. Thanks for the welcomes.

Well my primary spot was all booked so I'm headed out to wander around Sandy point (Corcoran) on Saturday...

Welcome dutch, from a fellow pg county public hunter. Good luck out there and maybe we will meet on the trail one day.

spooked two deer from the ground las t time out, just got notification that my platform and saddle have shipped, so hopefully the next trip out or soon after it'll turn around. i should have gotten into all this over the summer but better late than never.

most of my saddle setup has arrived, and I've been testing things out on the trees in the back yard. this is gonna be great. needs some tweaking- these strap buckles have got to go, but that was already planned.

Welcome from Howard county. I work in Charles County and sometimes hunt down that way. Lots of underutilized public land down there. Best of luck.

Heading out again saturday for a first try from the saddle after getting some back yard practice in. I'm sure I'll screw something up, (and will report back when I do, if nothing else for my own amusement when I look back) but it'll be fun, and perhaps I'll come home with a deer. Probably not, but better chance in the woods than at home. It looks like its going to be a warmer day again, and I'll likely be headed somewhere I've never been before, probably somewhere in Patuxent River State Park. If only someone would give away their top secret small doe scouting info...(lol i do not expect any spotburning, but on a serious note if there's a marylander here planning to go out and wants me to AVOID their area please let me know there's plenty of woods). Amsteel didn't show up in my order so replacement is on the way, looks like I'm sticking with the hawk straps for now, time to go check that they're all put together the right way (I've only been using 2 to practice).

Back