• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from Michigan

SadlHntr

Not new to saddle hunting, but gave it up a few years ago and now I'm going to give it another try. Back then, I had a neoprene saddle and it wasn't all that comfortable. And I remember using screw in tree steps around the tree. This time around, I found a used kit consisting of a Menace saddle, a Predator platform, and 3 Hawk steps. I bought a new set of Hawk Helium steps for a total of 6 (not sure how many I need). Back then, because I hunted private land, I put a 16'-20' ladder stick on each tree and just treated the saddle as the "stand". So I was not hanging steps as I ascended the tree. I also did not have a platform to carry up the tree--not really sure how to do that. Any advice from the seasoned guys and gals here would be much appreciated. Oh...and hello! Its nice to meet you!

Welcome from Georgia. I carried my predator up with a sling as I had a stick hung from my saddle on each hip. Zach on THP carries his in a predator pack attached to a badlands monster fanny. I like that setup. I have a monster fanny and would probably adopt that setup if the predator was my primary platform.

Not new to saddle hunting, but gave it up a few years ago and now I'm going to give it another try. Back then, I had a neoprene saddle and it wasn't all that comfortable. And I remember using screw in tree steps around the tree. This time around, I found a used kit consisting of a Menace saddle, a Predator platform, and 3 Hawk steps. I bought a new set of Hawk Helium steps for a total of 6 (not sure how many I need). Back then, because I hunted private land, I put a 16'-20' ladder stick on each tree and just treated the saddle as the "stand". So I was not hanging steps as I ascended the tree. I also did not have a platform to carry up the tree--not really sure how to do that. Any advice from the seasoned guys and gals here would be much appreciated. Oh...and hello! Its nice to meet you!
Welcome from Washtenaw Co. My first year in the saddle.
I think next year I am going to pre set some steps in a few locations on the private I hunt. At least for those AM hunts to speed up set up.

Welcome from Livingston Co. This is year 3 in a saddle for me and I've learned a ton from reading posts on this sight and not one of them has saved me any money. :)

I also did not have a platform to carry up the tree--not really sure how to do that. Any advice from the seasoned guys and gals here would be much appreciated. Oh...and hello! Its nice to meet you!

I nite-ize gear tie it to the base of my pack (MR Pop-up 28) that goes up the tree with me. The gear tie lives on the platform and also wraps around lineman's belt rope for hands free hanging of the platform.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice and the new community. I hunt mostly private so like MatMan81 said, I'm thinking about having 2 Muddy stagger steps on a few pre-set trees just so I could climb the first 2 and then set the next 3 sticks from there. I also would like to know what nite-ize is, as Bama_Xander mentioned. Countymounty7--I'm just a little south of you in Hamilton, MI. Would like to meet you some time so you could show me some saddle stuff. Blessings everyone. Talk more soon.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice and the new community. I hunt mostly private so like MatMan81 said, I'm thinking about having 2 Muddy stagger steps on a few pre-set trees just so I could climb the first 2 and then set the next 3 sticks from there. I also would like to know what nite-ize is, as Bama_Xander mentioned. Countymounty7--I'm just a little south of you in Hamilton, MI. Would like to meet you some time so you could show me some saddle stuff. Blessings everyone. Talk more soon.
Nite-ize gear ties are your best friend. They can be used in so many situations. They are a rubber coated wire used to secure things. Here is the one that lives on my Predator. It’s used when attached to my pack both in transport and climbing and then also the lineman’s belt when hanging. You can find them at Lowe’s and Home Depot

15357C34-BB26-4B66-AE18-60719C55B32C.jpegD1903C27-3825-4858-A3CA-E1990F4FAC36.jpeg

Welcome SadlHntr, from Y-town Michigan! You're going to get an overwhelming amount of information from a sleu of saddlehunters!

I dont hunt from very high, typically i carry 2 sticks and an aider, that'll get me to 15', usually I only go up about 10'. I leave my sticks and platform on the ground, with the straps attached to me. So when I get to the top of my first stick, I haul up the second on. Then the platform. Then my bow.

I've tried the 550 loop, rubber twist tie, attach it to my saddle. Attached to my backpack. I've found i like having long straps (about 15' of 1" webbing). This means I can get up large diameter trees, as well as, leave my stick and platform on the ground and haul it up by the strap.

Welcome from Washtenaw Co. My first year in the saddle.
I think next year I am going to pre set some steps in a few locations on the private I hunt. At least for those AM hunts to speed up set up.

I like this idea, recently I acquired poison ivy REAL BAD from going in blind. I need a few preset morning locations!

@ #Tradlife -- thx for the info!.. curious -- when you go to 15' up -- is that where your feet are? Or your head? And has that been high enough to have a successful hunt?

@ #Tradlife -- thx for the info!.. curious -- when you go to 15' up -- is that where your feet are? Or your head? And has that been high enough to have a successful hunt?
I have had zero success this year from the tree... totally skunked from the saddle.

Id say 15' to my feet with (2) 20" sticks and a 2-step aider. Id carry the aider from one stick to the next.

I've been hunting for 3 years now, with zero filled tags. Traditional archery only. And that is my reason for not climbing higher. Typically, I get to about 8-10' now, and I'm starting to wonder about my life choices. :sweatsmile:

Kidding. I wouldn't trade any of my hunts for a filled tag.

I have had success, especially with multiple trunk trees. Sometimes the wind does what you want it to. I've also had deer in range (wearing my saddle) sitting on the ground! Getting an ethical shot opportunity just hasn't been in the hands im dealt.

I think the hunt is so much more exciting at close quarters.

Needless to say, if deer had guns, I'd be dead. Could I be more successful from higher up? Sure. It probably does wonders for moving your scent away. And you can probably get away with more movement. Being closer to the ground makes me very conscious of my silhouette, movements, and the wind.

One reason I love my saddle is keeping the tree between the deer and myself. That is a huge advantage at 10-15' up.

Welcome from Jackson County. Lots of info on this site. I have been saddle hunting for around twenty years now.

Back