• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from N Texas

Lokmdwn

Hi everybody. I live a little south of the DFW area. I have been a tree stand hunter for over 40 years, (climbers, lock-ons and ladder stands). These days, I mainly hunt TX and Illinois. I have been hearing about saddle hunting for several years. I am a hands on type of person and had not been able to actually try one out till last Dec. My nephew uses an Aero Merlin and I had a chance to crawl around an oak tree in the yard. I like it and now I have something else to spend my paycheck on before my wife does :), I have been reading everything I could for the last month or so. Right now, I am leaning towards a JX3 Hybrid for all day hunts and maybe a Merlin for 1/2 day or shorter hunts. Haven't pulled any triggers yet though. Also thinking I want to rappel down after the hunt...there are way too many devices out there for rappelling...it gets confusing. My son happens to be a rock climbing fanatic, so I can take a few lessons from him on that aspect. I am thankful that so many of you are willing to share your experiences on forums like these (I have been lurking for a while now) so the new folks can learn without all of the pain. I am sure I will have questions and I am also sure I will call something by the wrong name or get parts mixed up, be gentle please. I can claim new guy status for a little while.

Back