• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from Texas

Beckett

Good morning gentlemen,

I’m a fairly new hunter, sort of, hunted small game all my life, tried deer a few times but growing up on the east coast it was tough to get into. Last year was my first year actually trying. No success, actually never saw a deer while I had a bow in my hands but lots of lessons learned.
Live about an hour north of Houston for the past few years, have a national forest about 10 minutes away so I’m just going to be doing public hunts for the time being.
My biggest lesson last year was how miserable it was to hike my massive 50 dollar garage sale find steel stand out into the woods. My last hunt of the year, as I was working up the tree with my harness and linesman’s belt I had a revelation that I’d rather just stand on my top step and stay on the belt...... you can imagine my thought process from there and how I ended up finding this forum.

Don’t have a saddle yet, haven’t even tried it out, but hoping to learn enough here to get it figured out before hunting season this year so I can leave the platform of death in the garage.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome from Mississippi! See if you can find a local saddle meet and greet event where you can try several different saddles first hand before you make a decision.

There are some broad categories like do you like a single panel saddle or a 2 panel and do you prefer a ring of steps to a platform or vice versa. From there it is just dialing it all in. Also, these are not one or the other. You can do both if you want.

Also, climbing methods abound so that is a whole other story.

Welcome from Michigan!! I'm new too, everyone is very helpful on here!

Welcome from Rosenberg Texas , the national forest has a ton of good places to hunt from. I have had my saddle for a while now but with work and life I haven’t used it much lately . I love this style of hunting and really need to get back into the trees . I’m 5’8” 200 pounds and use the Tethrd menace in a XL fits me great and have no complaints on the saddle. Good luck in the search for deer this season , I would suggest hunt hogs to get experience with your equipment and what’s needed and not needed . I haven’t been logged into the site in a year but I’m getting that itch to get back in the woods .

Welcome to the Forum! Plenty of options out their. If you can try to grab some stuff off the classifieds save you some money trying stuff. I Think TX-5 saddles are still based out of Texas. I have no idea where. But might be able to try one of his saddles. Lots of options out their.

Th
Welcome from Rosenberg Texas , the national forest has a ton of good places to hunt from. I have had my saddle for a while now but with work and life I haven’t used it much lately . I love this style of hunting and really need to get back into the trees . I’m 5’8” 200 pounds and use the Tethrd menace in a XL fits me great and have no complaints on the saddle. Good luck in the search for deer this season , I would suggest hunt hogs to get experience with your equipment and what’s needed and not needed . I haven’t been logged into the site in a year but I’m getting that itch to get back in the woods .
Thanks for the info, you actually helped with one of my many questions. I’m 6’ and 215-220 pounds depending on pizza intake. Wondering if I need a regular or XL saddle.

I try to help when I can when it comes to hunting and fishing, I work out of spring Monday-Thursday if it would help I can meet you somewhere up there so you can try this saddle out . I’m not selling anything or affiliated with anything just trying to help out. These things are expensive after all the gear , I don’t like to waste money . So I’m just putting it out there if your interested.

I try to help when I can when it comes to hunting and fishing, I work out of spring Monday-Thursday if it would help I can meet you somewhere up there so you can try this saddle out . I’m not selling anything or affiliated with anything just trying to help out. These things are expensive after all the gear , I don’t like to waste money . So I’m just putting it out there if your interested.
Awesome, thanks for that. My office is actually at Kuykendahl and louetta so I’m down there daily.

Back