• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from Titusville Florida, on the Space Coast

cpeaden

I just joined saddlehunter.com. I am doing research so that I can purchase my first (and hopefully my last if I chose correctly) saddle and saddle platform, so I can try saddle hunting. I think I have the other equipment that I will need (at least to get started).

I am from Titusville Florida on the Space Coast of Florida. I bought my first gun, a Mossberg 500, about 43 years ago with lawn mowing money when I was 15. My Dad, my brother and I did a lot of successful squirrel hunting and a little unsuccessful deer and dove hunting. We did not know what we were doing for deer and our location was not great for deer or dove. I then went to college and got focused on things other than hunting.

I started hunting again about 10 years ago with my Dad and my two sons when my sons got into their teen years. We got rifles, muzzle loaders, I got a bow, and my dad got a crossbow (since he has shoulder issues). We did not know what we were doing, and we were hunting on local WMAs, and we rarely saw anything. So, my sons got disinterested, learned hunting was boring, and quit going with us. My dad and I kept at it and slowly learned (mostly through reading) some things. We got into a lease. We got a few hogs and then a few deer. We started hunting with ladder tree stands and blinds, then got into climbers. Unfortunately, my Dad has now aged to a point where he cannot hunt with me anymore (but I do take him fishing). I have 2 close friends who do hunt with me occasionally.

Just this past year I purchased climbing sticks and two hang-on stands since one of my sons and my daughter wanted to sit with me in the woods while I hunted. (We were able to be mobile and hang the two hang-on stands on the same tree so we could sit together in the same tree). That son also bought his licenses and hunted some with me some in GA and FL this year. I expect to get them and the rest of my family more interested in hunting as I become better at it.

On 12/31/20, I retired from the Federal Government after a 34-year career, so now I will have more time to devote to hunting and fishing and other fun pursuits. Hopefully, I will get better at the hunting and fishing.

Five years ago I learned a little about tree saddle hunting from watching John Eberhart's DVDs. This past year, while researching climbing sticks and hang-on stands, I learned that saddle hunting has become popular and a lot of gear options are available. I am very interested in reducing the weight of what I carry in on mobile hunts, so I want to give saddle hunting a try. I joined this group to learn. I appreciate the info that I am sure I will get from following the threads and from you.

Last edited:
Howdy....I have family in Mims. If your schedule permits try to be at fort stewart georgia Feb 20 and u learn lots of neat stuff

Welcome from Michigan. We were just down there camping few weeks ago. My sister in law is on Merritt Island. We stayed at the County Park for a little while.

Welcome from central FL (Apopka)

I hunt local WMAs within a couple hr drive in any direction

I can probably help u out some if ever need anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good chance we’ve hunted same public before

I almost got to hunt some private over in edgewater & had some monsters lined up but the permission fell thru on one property and lease terminated on another

It’s a neat area over there

Welcome from Missouri! Congrats on retirement. You’ll love it. I retired last year from the fire service after 32+ years. Enjoy your time off and make the most of it.

Welcome from Missouri. I have a friend that was a pastor in Titusville years ago. I used to visit him. I really liked the Titusville area.

Welcome from Missouri. I have a friend that was a pastor in Titusville years ago. I used to visit him. I really liked the Titusville area.

My parents moved us to Titusville 54 years ago when my Dad got a job at Kennedy Space Center (KSC). (I was four at the time.) I spent some years away in college, and then a little time in the USAF, and then I got a good job at KSC which is right across the Indian River from Titusville. So Titusville has basically stayed my home. I love my family and friends who are mostly still here, and so I love my hometown.

Back