• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello

Petrichor

Hello everyone. Name is Dave and I just moved to TN a few months back. Been researching saddles lately and trying to do as much research as possible. Should be ordering my first saddle by the end of the week. Figured I should join up here and get as much wisdom from y’all as possible. Did several years in climbers and was debating hang on for more versatility but it seems that saddles are just too versatile to ignore. Any advice is welcome. I’m here to learn. Currently been looking at the H2 sling shot kit. But I’m unsure on sticks at the moment.

Hello everyone. Name is Dave and I just moved to TN a few months back. Been researching saddles lately and trying to do as much research as possible. Should be ordering my first saddle by the end of the week. Figured I should join up here and get as much wisdom from y’all as possible. Did several years in climbers and was debating hang on for more versatility but it seems that saddles are just too versatile to ignore. Any advice is welcome. I’m here to learn. Currently been looking at the H2 sling shot kit. But I’m unsure on sticks at the moment.
Hello and welcome!

I used the H2 for my second year. It was honestly a great saddle and I only sold it to try new things. I will say that if I never changed saddles, I wouldn't have missed much. Its pretty basic but it'll meet all your needs for a good long while. I would tell you to practice practice practice, use the search function on the top right of your screen for any questions! You can almost be that if the question occurs to you, it did to someone else here, and it was probably me! Don't save your money when buying ropes and carabines and follow the K.I.S.S. principle and you'll be a happy camper.

Hello and welcome!

I used the H2 for my second year. It was honestly a great saddle and I only sold it to try new things. I will say that if I never changed saddles, I wouldn't have missed much. Its pretty basic but it'll meet all your needs for a good long while. I would tell you to practice practice practice, use the search function on the top right of your screen for any questions! You can almost be that if the question occurs to you, it did to someone else here, and it was probably me! Don't save your money when buying ropes and carabines and follow the K.I.S.S. principle and you'll be a happy camper.
Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the site. Not going to overload you with 'hints' as I'll let you get your feet wet, just one note. You really should consider the classified for a good deal and its the fact that its almost whitetail season and tons of people are going to be ordering things. Depend on what you decide on, it could be awhile before you get it. Most guys on the forum ship within a few days. Some company ship really fast but you never know.

Welcome from Maryland! I always recommend sticks as a great climbing method when introducing alot of new pieces to your system. You can tinker with more technical climbing methods once you have become extremely familiar with your saddle. As for saddles why don’t you check out the map & try to find someone relatively close to test drive one.

Welcome form NC. The advise I can give is when it comes to saddles, they all can be comfortable Just gotta find the sweet spot, I would try and reach out to a saddle hunter or two in your area and test some out. When it come to sticks I would just pick what's in your budget, they all get you up a tree. Now what to put your feet on? ROS or some type of platform, find something on the classifieds and try it out. Takes some time to figure out what works for you. Good luck! There are a lot of people that can really help you on here!

Welcome from Maryland! I always recommend sticks as a great climbing method when introducing alot of new pieces to your system. You can tinker with more technical climbing methods once you have become extremely familiar with your saddle. As for saddles why don’t you check out the map & try to find someone relatively close to test drive one.
Yes I am leaning toward sticks to start!

Welcome form NC. The advise I can give is when it comes to saddles, they all can be comfortable Just gotta find the sweet spot, I would try and reach out to a saddle hunter or two in your area and test some out. When it come to sticks I would just pick what's in your budget, they all get you up a tree. Now what to put your feet on? ROS or some type of platform, find something on the classifieds and try it out. Takes some time to figure out what works for you. Good luck! There are a lot of people that can really help you on here!
For platforms I have always been a minimalist mindset kinda guy. The solo scout from ooal caught my eye. But the four week to ship time could be prohibitive for this first season. Might have to look at classifieds.

Ground level is your friend! Find a tree at the park or even the utility pole in front of your street. Don't mind the strange looks from the neighbors. My first platform was a piece of 2x4 on plywood, ROS was 2x4 cut up in triangle and ratchet straps. But with lumber now a days.....might be cheaper to get commercial equipment....

Ground level is your friend! Find a tree at the park or even the utility pole in front of your street. Don't mind the strange looks from the neighbors. My first platform was a piece of 2x4 on plywood, ROS was 2x4 cut up in triangle and ratchet straps. But with lumber now a days.....might be cheaper to get commercial equipment....
Yeah luckily I have a couple trees in back yard that will shield me from the looks.

Back