• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

(HELP) get body odor off hunting clothes

Dietter700

I’ve worn my first lite Marino base layers all season from chasing mule deer in September to late season whitetail in PA.

I’ve washed them with the recommended wash a few times. Nothing seems to get the body odor stench out of the arm out region ....

Does anyone have any home remedies? Or even a commercial product to buy. I’ve tried vinegar in the washer and I’ve tried spraying vinegar on the pits and letting them out to hang dry for day or two.

First lite tells you to not wash the Marino more than you have to so I don’t want to wash a wash and wash ...

Thanks in advanced!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an industrial strength ozone generator off amazon for about $60. Almost kills the smoke smell in a used car but definitely will take the funk out of houses, carpets, clothes etc. you can also use it to make your own scentlok closet. I have a $40 Locker I bought from wal mart and I can put the ozone in there any time. I also soak my truck once at the beginning of the season.

Ozone 100%. I once put a dirty diaper (don’t judge me, I have 3 kids) in a plastic bag and ran 20 minutes of ozone with my scent crusher. Pulled it out and COULD NOT smell the, well, stuff that the diaper was holding.
Now that's a commitment to gear testing!

One thing to watch out for - I bought my ozone machine 3 or 4 years ago and nuked my clothing with it in a scent proof bag after every hunt. Later in the season, I was wondering why all the elastic waist bands lost their elasticity. Same thing happened to my Headlamp and shock cords. I had to start using safety pins to hold my drawers up lol.

Fast forward to 2019 when I joined this site and I came across a bunch of posts about how ozone kills elastic. Mystery solved, doh! Now I leave the elastic waist bands just outside of the scent proof bag before I roll it up. Has been working well so far.

Sent from up in a tree

Now that's a commitment to gear testing!

One thing to watch out for - I bought my ozone machine 3 or 4 years ago and nuked my clothing with it in a scent proof bag after every hunt. Later in the season, I was wondering why all the elastic waist bands lost their elasticity. Same thing happened to my Headlamp and shock cords. I had to start using safety pins to hold my drawers up lol.

Fast forward to 2019 when I joined this site and I came across a bunch of posts about how ozone kills elastic. Mystery solved, doh! Now I leave the elastic waist bands just outside of the scent proof bag before I roll it up. Has been working well so far.

Sent from up in a tree

Yup been there.. I have a home made ozone closet like people suggested gear. I have use that here and there on my stench filled base layers but I don’t love the idea of destroying my stupidly expensive base layers. That’s why I was looking for a better solution. I should have mentioned that in my first post. I’ve ozoned it for 30 minutes and it still has an odor. Far less but as soon as I start to sweat in it again it comes back with vengeance.

I would be a careful if there are some ozone diehards out there not to ruin your clothes.

Just wash in baking soda with a hot rinse

May sound dumb but can you explain... like you do you dump the baking soda straight onto the laundry or put It in one of the detergent or fabric softener spots? Also how much baking soda?

First lite says to only wash in cold, but I feel like warm would definitely do a better job.

Anyone know what the risk is of washing Marino in hot instead of cold?

Baking soda works pretty good I put mine in the washer and then pour about a cup in washer with clothes. Never hurts to give them an extra rinse sometimes all the baking soda doesn’t come out. Leaves a gritty feel in the clothes.

I'm in the same boat. Tried all kinds of different detergents, soaking, etc. Even made a paste with baking soda and put it on and let it set. Haven't had any luck. I'm probably going to switch from merino back to synthetics.

May sound dumb but can you explain... like you do you dump the baking soda straight onto the laundry or put It in one of the detergent or fabric softener spots? Also how much baking soda?

First lite says to only wash in cold, but I feel like warm would definitely do a better job.

Anyone know what the risk is of washing Marino in hot instead of cold?

Usually I just put about 1/4 cup on a full load. Just dump it on top

Baking soda works pretty good I put mine in the washer and then pour about a cup in washer with clothes. Never hurts to give them an extra rinse sometimes all the baking soda doesn’t come out. Leaves a gritty feel in the clothes.
Exactly

You could try soaking in water with Activated carbon. May discolor it though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Give this a try, usually Merino wool is good about not holding odors. I would be very cautious about washing them in anything other than cold water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will add a vote to the ozone.

I lightly ozone wash my stuff, truck included, a couple times a season.

..................................................................................... This is an announcement account only.
I am no longer active on this forum on a daily basis. If you have any questions or comments that you wish me to see, or respond to... please contact me at one of the other sites I am on.

IkemanTx
On..... Instagram, TexasBowhunter, HabitatTalk, Tree Saddle Hunters R Us, The Hunting Beast

Back