• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help me spend my money on a new backpack

Jimmyfunk60

Currently I’m using a pretty worn out timberhawk big basin backpack. Roughly 1600ci dimensions are 10x15x8 according to the internet. Looking for something roughly the same size as it packs well on my frame.. I like everything about this pack and would buy another but I can’t find them anywhere. Amazon shows 1 for $84 and they were originally $39 so going to hold off. The one thing I could do without on this is so many pockets as I don’t carry that much.. I also don’t have the need to pack meat out or travel mountains.

What I carry- predator platform- prefer a flap for quick stow and go but not opposed to putting it inside bag
Bag of bolts and hand drill
Small saw
Knife
Grunt tube
Roll of tp
Range finder
Battery charger/power cell
Gear hoist
f008d43e0accbc9fbe0257df487211b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that folks like the big brand stuff, but if I can get quality items relatively cheap, I'll take that route everyday.
I use the MilTec assault pack. I actually have 3 of them, 2 small assault packs, and one large. They are impressive quality for the price. Dang close to military issue for under 40$.
In my small pack I can carry 10 WE steps (never do though), water bladder, perch platform, binos, range finder, TP, long sleeve/jacket, milkweed pill bottle, forrester knife and poncho with room to spare. It's got a hip belt, and good shoulder straps.

I use the large one for late season or just real cold weather to pack in layer as well. My small pack is my go to pack. All of mine are coyote color but they come in camo black or green and so on.

If you don't want a frame, then Alps Outdoorz makes a lot of packs that less than 100 bucks and are reasonably well made and with a fleece outer finish. I have the Dark Timber pack which is nice, but has no frame (not even a sheet or stays).

My man thanks, they were listed as sold out when I looked before.. I picked up a Cabelas elite scout and it seems pretty good but I’m going to pick up a new big basin before they don’t make them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No prob!! Ironically my wife got me one 3-4 yrs ago & I rarely used it. Last year I was carrying my sticks on my Guidos, but this year the cheap day pack from Amazon was killing my shoulder with terrible straps, & the compression strap keeps pulling out of the glides & dumping my sticks. Was looking around online & happened to remember the Timberhawk pack hanging upstairs, sticks & tree suite platform fits in the front flap perfectly.

I do miss not having molle points, may have to break out the speedy stitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back