• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help tracking buck

cmc25

I’m new to hunting and trying to plan out my own hunts. Usually I get a friend who has a stand set up and I just hunt their spots, but I want to do more tracking and mobile set ups. So I went looking for signs and ended up with my trail cam right on a bedding area. I get constant movement and have seen two 6 pointers in the area (I’ve only had a spike). I went out to try and see if he came around, but if you notice the times on the pictures, he shows up just after dark. I saw plenty of doe come and go and I highlighted the paths they took to get there. My question is, is there any way to get him out earlier, or do I need to stalk back further down those paths and find him earlier? The picture was 30 mins after I walked through there to get out
6e782fd5819e550af011b182445c0b97.jpg

fb323bb377f55e04d303b2e7ae2122ba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup,you need to get closer to their beds if you want to catch them during daylight. They should not be too much further since you are missing them by 30 mins only. It is a tricky thing to know when you are close enough but not too close so they can hear or see you set up. But you may as well try to get closer because you are not in the game right now,they probably won't abandon the area even if you blow them out one time.

Agree with the above, also don’t know what your wind is doing you could be blowing into their beds & they’re waiting for you to leave???

Agree with the above, also don’t know what your wind is doing you could be blowing into their beds & they’re waiting for you to leave???

From that map, the wind was blowing over my back from A towards the opening where they were hanging out. The doe didn’t seem bothered, I also have to walk through that area to get elevated so my scent is left in that clearing. I guess if I get further back to where they are coming from, I’ll have a better chance of setting up with the wind in my favor.

From that map, the wind was blowing over my back from A towards the opening where they were hanging out. The doe didn’t seem bothered, I also have to walk through that area to get elevated so my scent is left in that clearing. I guess if I get further back to where they are coming from, I’ll have a better chance of setting up with the wind in my favor.

You also want to think about your entry. If you can't get in without your scent being carried towards the bedding or their hangout there is no point going. It also is best if your ground scent from walking in is not crossing the area you expect the deer to come from.

You also want to think about your entry. If you can't get in without your scent being carried towards the bedding or their hangout there is no point going. It also is best if your ground scent from walking in is not crossing the area you expect the deer to come from.

I wouldn’t say no point point in going… this was my view for about 2 hours and they are standing on my path of entry. No point if all I’m after is a buck though…
7988ad56fa96dc1179ed7905c0334f0a.jpg

Back