• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help

Robbo

I’m just getting in traditional archery and have used the lonewolf assault 2 and sticks with my compound for a long time. This setup performs well but wanted to know is it possible to hunt with trad gear from a saddle? Is it easier to shoot from than what I’m thinking? Looks like shots would be limited.
Thanks

First year with recurve so take it for what it's worth, I've practiced from the saddle and hunted (haven't shot on a deer yet) and there is no downside to sitting in a saddle with trad gear versus compound other than potentially limited shot range. I actually felt like my release arm is setup better from the saddle with the hip hinge for downward angle shots. Only downside I could see is longbow and recurve tend to be longer than compounds so maneuverability or restrictions from limbs could be an issue. Plenty of guys on here shot traditional from saddles successfully.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

There are different limitations in stands and saddles but both have them. Hunting in a saddle will have its own limitations and only you can determine what they are. Most trad guys hated the Summit Viper but I figured out how to shoot out of it from about any angle with a couple modifications. It was my go to for years.

I feel it is easier to shoot my longbow from a treestand. I still use a couple around the house and recently bought a LW Assualt to hunt out of with my saddle and climbing SRT. I haven’t hunted it yet but it worked well in practice.

I found it easier to shoot a recurve from but less consistent.

There is a learning curve to saddle hunting. However, once you have mastered that, the added difficulty of traditional equipment in the saddle has more to do with the type of bow (mostly length), individual shooting style (straight up or cant), than it does with the saddle itself. What you choose to stand on made a huge difference for me as well.

I'm not overly concerned about 360 degree shooting so I don't practice acrobatics or ballet to make shots that have a very slim chance of being necessary.....IF I have a proper setup for the area that I'm hunting. It happens occasionally but I simply pass on those shots. I focus on practicing high percentage shots where I'm most confident and then concentrate my efforts on doing whatever it takes to have deer in this area as often as possible.

Agree with the above. I have yet to shoot a deer, but practicing and drawing on every sit shows no hindrance to me. Biggest change is the length of the bow compared to a compound.

I've only shot recurves and never shot a compound from a saddle so I can't comment on a comparison, but I think certain shots are probably more difficult with trad due to "short drawing". I know I'm not the only one that tends to short draw on weak side shots. Be aware of the potential of weak side short draw.
I would rather stand and turn on the platform than I would trying to shoot over the bridge. It's another reason why I don't care for a ROS.

I would rather stand and turn on the platform than I would trying to shoot over the bridge. It's another reason why I don't care for a ROS.

This exactly. Which is why I mentioned what you choose to stand on making a big difference for me. Even my oxymoronic short longbows are a pain to pass over the bridge.
Additionally, I carry one field tipped arrow and shoot it at a leaf, stump, etc, right before I come down for real world practice. Since I don't practice enough in my full hunting gear sometimes. Just remember not to forget it, it gets expensive. I finally added a lighted nock!

This exactly. Which is why I mentioned what you choose to stand on making a big difference for me. Even my oxymoronic short longbows are a pain to pass over the bridge.
Additionally, I carry one field tipped arrow and shoot it at a leaf, stump, etc, right before I come down for real world practice. Since I don't practice enough in my full hunting gear sometimes. Just remember not to forget it, it gets expensive. I finally added a lighted nock!
You might want to consider switching the field point to a judo point. Not only are Judos are great for shooting and not losing the arrow, they make a great "mini rake" for clearing spots to put your feet when approaching the stand. Sometimes there is just no place to step where you won't snap sticks. I pull out my judo arrow and clear a spot. Same with dry, fluffy leaves. I can sound like turkeys or squirrels rather than a 190 pound human.
Judos are a requirement IMO.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You might want to consider switching the field point to a judo point. Not only are Judos are great for shooting and not losing the arrow, they make a great "mini rake" for clearing spots to put your feet when approaching the stand. Sometimes there is just no place to step where you won't snap sticks. I pull out my judo arrow and clear a spot. Same with dry, fluffy leaves. I can sound like turkeys or squirrels rather than a 190 pound human.
Judos are a requirement IMO.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Good point (literally) I do have the field tips that are flat on the end but I don't know what the technical name for them are? Just look like a cut off point. My issue is forgetting them rather than actually losing them!

I have found that shortening my bridge and lowering my tether gives me more clearance for my longbow string on the draw. It is slightly less comfortable and allows for less maneuverability but it allows you to draw properly. You definitely need to practice from hunting height multiple times to get everything figured out. Best of luck!

I appreciate you sharing the advice guys. I already tagged a buck this year (compound) in a fixed stand but I'm planning to hunt the rest of the year with a recurve. I'm making the switch from stand to saddle too so it's a brand new world. I will say that I've had to pass on some longbow and recurve shots because of tree stand clearance issues or because a trunk or limb was in the way and I couldn't get around it while staying on the platform. That's the main reason I took the compound out early season and one of the reasons I'm moving to saddle hunting. Good luck to all this year.

I've never shot a compound. And I've only shot a few longbows a few times.

62" recurve at that, I have no problem making any shot, just have to be conscious of the limbs and any clearance I may need for them.

I tend to shoot vertical.

I do practice canted shots, tho thats usually sitting down. Log, climbing stick, ladder stand or even from the knees.

I've found that over the bridge shots need extra emphasis on turning your hip away from the bridge. You really have to trust your gear, lean into it, and have good core tension to be stable and maintain form during those shots. If not it feels like my form just kinda collapses, and I can see how short draw would become a habit.

If I don't feel comfortable, I won't rush a shot. Thats standing, sitting, in a treestand or in the saddle. Knowing bad form and when to let down, regroup and draw again was a difficult concept to engrain in my shooting process, but I think it helped tremendously in all shooting scenarios.

Back