• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Here is an interesting one for ya.

spear0

Its new years eve and 75 degrees in Alabama. I have been in the woods since 4:30 am and at 4 pm I decide I've had enough and would still hunt/scout back to the truck before the nights shenanigans begin. I climbed down from the saddle and began walking quietly through the woods with a steady wind covering the crunchy leaves beneath my boots. I'm covered up in a leafy suit with full face mask and have the wind in my face. This is a new area full of sign but yet to see deer in daylight hours so I am hopeful to spot some and try to pattern their movements. I get into the bottom of the pic and a group of 3 does spot me hung up in a thorn bush and blow blow blow and haul ass. I held my north course and in about 40 yards this madness ensues. I see movement and look up to see a deer nervously jumping and looking at me. It barked, ran about 10 yards into the very thick cut pines and then came right back to see what I was. It doesn't like me and kind trotted away not too spooked in the direction of the orange track on the pic below. I get to a cut road (where the right turn in red is ) and the woods are impenetrable. I decide to say screw it Im sweating and tired lets just get back to the truck. The road pictured following the woods is about 8' tall of brush and thorns so i followed game trails in the pines along the red route. There is fresh pig **** every where. I'm getting very excited as this stuff is stiff very warm. I keep walking and get to a mess of trails converging and to keep direction I hop over some thorns making noise. This scared the deer (who i thought was a big nasty pig) literally to death! Loud crashing through the brush then silence only about 10 yards away. I circle around and nock an arrow. I keep hearing brush breaking in the same spot. I for some reason started making pig noises thinking it wouldn't run away and i could somehow get a shot. As i come closer i can see that it is the deer laying in the brush! Its unable to move its legs only its mouth is moving. I was completely shocked and didn't know what to do! I decided to try and shoot it to stop its suffering. The vegetation is thick. The first arrow is deflected and grazes the neck and rips open the shoulder. the second barely grazes the neck. Finally i put one in the heart and the deer dies immediately. This deer from what i could put together ran from me and broke its neck when exiting the pines. I found it with its neck in a 90 degree ( see pic) This deer was not injured, had not been shot, and was perfectly healthy a few min prior to the best of my knowledge. I was kind of nervous about the meat but I inspected it thoroughly and could not find any signs of sickness or anything funny. Loaded it up and now I have 3 deer for the season!

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?map.jpgBROKE NECK.jpgDRAG.jpg

Now THAT'S a story!

I've never seen something like that in person, but I believe either Charles Alseimer or Leonard Lee Rue had a couple of accounts of similar incidents in their book.

I was hunting out back behind the house one early fall afternoon when a hot air balloon came by. When it got closer he ran the burner and scared off about 4 deer - they were freaked. Then the balloon flew right over my stand, they all waved at me. Thanks. That night I learned the deer ran into a neighbors yard and one of them broke its neck on his fence.

I was hunting out back behind the house one early fall afternoon when a hot air balloon came by. When it got closer he ran the burner and scared off about 4 deer - they were freaked. Then the balloon flew right over my stand, they all waved at me. Thanks. That night I learned the deer ran into a neighbors yard and one of them broke its neck on his fence.
I’d say that’s about as random and random gets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think she ran into a tree. Looks like she was clothes-lined by Sasquatch...

Attachments

• squatch.gif
    squatch.gif
    45.1 KB · Views: 60
I was initially hung up on how stiff and fresh you found the pig turds to be, but now I’m blown away that all this happened in the daylight....squatch ops at night.

I was initially hung up on how stiff and fresh you found the pig turds to be, but now I’m blown away that all this happened in the daylight....squatch ops at night.

Lol stiff was meant to be still. Thanks to squatch I had some tasty backstraps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last thing I heard about Sasquatch is the government is sending Sam Elliott to kill him. So it looks like you may be losing a hunting partner.
Where'd you hear that from? I heard it was Chuck Norris.

I found one that broke it's neck running through a fence before. It was still alive but couldn't move and was in shock. I called a wildlife biologist and got permission to put it down. I didn't know what had happened at first but after reevaluating the situation and reading accounts from others, I decided that it had to have broken it's neck.

I watched one die about 10 feet from me once. I was only about 15 or 16. My dad and uncle were pushing out a thick bedding area during the flintlock season. I was posted up in the escape route on the ground. This is an old homestead and there was an orchard that had a 8' wire fence, but only a few of the fence sections remained. Three does came hauling, and I mean hauling out of the cover. The first two deer shot a gap in the fence and passed by me within 15 feet. I was only after a buck so they were safe. The third doe takes a slightly different route and just drills this fence. She never even twitched, DOA right there. Broke her neck. The look on my face when my old man walked up, standing there over a dead deer without having shot. Man was that something. One of my favorite hunting memories.

I watched one die about 10 feet from me once. I was only about 15 or 16. My dad and uncle were pushing out a thick bedding area during the flintlock season. I was posted up in the escape route on the ground. This is an old homestead and there was an orchard that had a 8' wire fence, but only a few of the fence sections remained. Three does came hauling, and I mean hauling out of the cover. The first two deer shot a gap in the fence and passed by me within 15 feet. I was only after a buck so they were safe. The third doe takes a slightly different route and just drills this fence. She never even twitched, DOA right there. Broke her neck. The look on my face when my old man walked up, standing there over a dead deer without having shot. Man was that something. One of my favorite hunting memories.
That's crazy! and to be able to see it all go down is the coolest part. I'm still stuck replaying what happened exactly.

Years ago I was bowhunting late season with my cousin. It was also late flintlock season. I happen to come across a flintlock hunter who told me he missed 4 doe. He was using a 45 cal. Later I see my cousin standing over a doe and he told he that this deer ran up to him and dropped dead. He was startled when the deer fell over and didn't know why. I told him about the hunter that told me he missed 4 doe. So we looked at the deer and there was a little hole in it's side. We went to look for the hunter but he was gone. When we butchered the deer we found a round ball from a flintlock . I think this hunter probably killed 4 doe that day and since the deer didn't die within site he thought he missed. We went back to look for the other 3 deer but couldn't find them so my cousin tag the one he found so at least that one didn't go to waste.

That's an amazing story. I was riding down the trail on our land during the rut several years ago when a big 10 point ran out in front of me, stumbled, and then fell to the ground as he crossed the trail. He rolled onto his back as he fell and his horns stuck down in the mud. I stopped and watched in amazement for a minute before walking up and filming him on my phone. When it was clear he had a serious issue, I decided to dispatch him with a .22 pistol I had on me. I talked to a biologist later, and he thought he probably had a brain injury from fighting. I'll try to post a link to the video later if I can find it.

Back