• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

*Hickory Creek Mini & Burris FastFire 3*

Mike Burch

SH Member
I just received a new to me HCA Mini and really like the feel and nimbleness of it compared to other crossbows. I have a nice compact Nikon crossbow scope I was planning on putting on it, but the smaller rmr red dot sights like the Burris FastFire 3 has peaked my interest for it. I’ve read a few folks talk about it, but anyone tried it and didn’t like it and went back to a scope? Just looking for some opinions on the rmr on a mini. Any issues?

This would be for hunting only. I’m not a 100 shot a day target shooter and 30-35 yards is my absolute max range. 15-20 yards is 99% of my shots usually.

Thanks, Mike

I didn’t like the burris because the dot didn’t get dim enough for me. I have the vortex crossfire red dot and it’s perfect. Some people don’t have an issue with the fast fire.

I think a magnified scope on a 30 and in weapon is a bad idea. I have a chewed up 130” 8pt deadhead to prove it.

Ill be following, I'm looking at the Burris or maybe a Vortex Venom or maybe a Sig Romeo 5 for my mini

I have one coming. Should be here Wednesday and I’ll let you know how I feel about it.

One thing I just saw on FB was some folks are saying the FF3 isn’t getting tight enough on the mini’s scope rail. Basically bottoms out and was still loose on the rail. It was the first time I heard that, so I’m hoping it fits mine without issue And that was a fluke.

Mike

I didn’t like the burris because the dot didn’t get dim enough for me. I have the vortex crossfire red dot and it’s perfect. Some people don’t have an issue with the fast fire.

I think a magnified scope on a 30 and in weapon is a bad idea. I have a chewed up 130” 8pt deadhead to prove it.
I agree with this except in states where pt restrictions apply... I could have shot 2 deer with my mini this year....but search as I might, I couldn't find a 3rd legal point on either of them. Happy to have a magnified scope So i didn't have to go for my binos and miss a potential opportunity...

Meat hunter here...I know a lotnof people would pass if they couldn't visually see 12 without a scope....but......

I agree with this except in states where pt restrictions apply... I could have shot 2 deer with my mini this year....but search as I might, I couldn't find a 3rd legal point on either of them. Happy to have a magnified scope So i didn't have to go for my binos and miss a potential opportunity...

Meat hunter here...I know a lotnof people would pass if they couldn't visually see 12 without a scope....but......

I’m learning that here in Texas. Some property I hunt has silly restriction that requires you to be very sure on what buck you’re shooting.

I will prob try a red dot on my mini at some point. Only reason I havn't already is during bow season im always hunting in extremely dark woods where my actual shooting light is basically up 5 min before legal light. The 4x scope gives me that extra 5 min of visual detail that I couldn't otherwise get.

I will prob try a red dot on my mini at some point. Only reason I havn't already is during bow season im always hunting in extremely dark woods where my actual shooting light is basically up 5 min before legal light. The 4x scope gives me that extra 5 min of visual detail that I couldn't otherwise get.
There's a reason a famous hunter of old times swore by a 4x Leopold and a .270......

9feb795bf50cc3997d1cf2b6d7f21a3d.jpg

I have a cheap older tru-glo one on mine it turns down very low have no desire to go back to a scope. Red dots are awesome on these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 3x magnifier that flips to the right when not in use works perfectly. Give you the best of both worlds imo.

I ended up buying a vortex crossfire red dot for my mini last week. I took off the stock scope and mounted the crossfire. I was shooting bulls eyes at 20 yards without any adjustment at all. I was very suprised. I'm liking it slot so far and will take it in the woods this evening and hopefully put the dot on a deer

The AT3 is a very good option with 11 dot intensity settings to suit all light conditions. I have one on a backup turkey gun and absolutely love it.

AT3 Tactical RD-50 Micro Reflex Red Dot Sight - 2 MOA Compact Red Dot Scope https://a.co/d/dXTbYuH

Another great option. I like the clutter free tiny nature of the Burris. But optics like this and the crossfire offer more for low light I think.

Back