• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

High Wind Advice

iamcorey

Gonna try and squeeze in a hunt tomorrow before the even crazier weather shows up in North AL.

Tomorrow they are calling for 10-15 mph wind with gusts up to 25 mph. Favorable wind. Sunny high of 63. According to the state rut map and history, we are about a week from prime time. Do you even bother getting in a tree or just stick to the ground? I'll be hunting in hardwood bottoms, and maybe a field in the evening. Want to get out there before the additional 6" of rain comes in with 70 degree weather and potential tornadoes this weekend.

My very first saddle hunt was right before a hurricane and I was in a 6'' diameter pine in the middle of the marsh. 15-20 with 30+gusts...... It can be done but hold on tight

THose are pretty normal rifle season conditions here...but its 10 degrees, and snowing. IF you're hunting with a rifle, get some butler creek scope covers :)

If doing an all day sit, might get a lil motion sickness. I noticed it after an all day sit in a tree on a windy day. Got home and while sitting on the toilet felt like I was still swaying back in forth in that tree.

Be smart. Check for widow makers whether your on the ground or elevated before you stay put somewhere. But that pretty much goes for all hunts wind or not.

Be smart. Check for widow makers whether your on the ground or elevated before you stay put somewhere. But that pretty much goes for all hunts wind or not.
I seen a widow maker hit a guy once while we were doing storm cleanup. Immediately dropped him to his knees, missed his head by inches and struck him in the neck/shoulder area. Very scary!

I heard a big’un fall nearby about a month ago. Shook the me up and made me really examine the tree I was in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High winds? Safety should be your main priority.

That said, you should only consider climbing a tree if you hunt out of ... ahem ... a Kite

If you are hunting hardwoods and expecting high winds with rain, stick to smaller trees. The older larger oaks are more likely to topple with wet ground than a smaller one with less canopy.

That’s a normal day here in Kansas!! You should be fine. I usually try to sit in the middle of a timber travel route. Or even find proper hill and be on the backside to get some protection from the wind. Deer will look for the same thing. Good luck!

Back