• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

High wind hunting

RRussell

Gonna be 25mph winds tomorrow and I've killed some nice deer in high winds so I think I will head out, What's your favorite type of cover to hunt high winds? I was thinking of this spot near a CRP field they like to bed in because the woods will be pretty noisy.

When its high winds I like to focus on buck bedding and travel that has more visual for them. with the nose being taken out for the most part, they tend to rely on eyesight much more. Learned this from Barry Wensel decades ago and found it to be very true.

I like to be out of the wind and I think the deer do too so I try to find areas like that. Leeward sides of hills, bowls, etc.

Back