• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hinge or thumb button release

Jessek

Anyone hunting with a hinge release I honestly don’t know why been shooting a index release for over 20 years and want to try something new wonder if you can take all shots out of a saddle with a hinge thanks or insight if I should go with a thumb button thanks

Thumb button If you shoot one a lot You will find that a hinge is a little quick shooting down hill and all shots from a tree are

A hinge is awesome and will definitely make you better. However, I would not make the switch to hunt with it for a while. It does take some time to learn and get used to. You should practice all year with a hinge and then could move to a thumb. It gives the same feeling and more secure from accidentally firing. So I guess my answer is both.

I accidentally flung an arrow while letting down after a deer stepped out of my shooting lane while using a hinge release. I practiced with it all summer and it did make me more accurate, but it is too sensitive for hunting conditions especially in cold weather.

I ended up reloading an arrow and killing the deer, so my mistake with the release didn’t burn me, but it did confirm for me that hinge releases aren’t the best for hunting.

Back