• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hip pinch

It's all in the geometry and angles of the ropes and bridge. I find 4 hours is pretty easy to do if you just adjust once in a while. I mean I can't even sit in a recliner for 4 hours without adjusting how I'm sitting.

i get that but don’t you find it uncomfortable even after 20 minutes of your hips being pressed forward

i get that but don’t you find it uncomfortable even after 20 minutes of your hips being pressed forward
Nope. To me it's like a cross between leaning against a pool table and sitting in a swing set swing. If you have any doubts before you buy look up the map and see if there's anyone close. Most guys will let you try their saddle if you're curious.

What do you all do for hip fatigue. My hips being squeezed in all day seems like it’s going to be uncomfortable.

Hip pinch varies from none to non stop. Depends on the saddle. Tether and bridge management help but a comfortable saddle is better

Oh and saddle shape is real for some saddles.

A Jx3 does not squeeze your hips at all.
A Cruzr XC is a hammock. So far my longest sit is 4 hours still comfortable
My Tx5 when placed properly on my body has never been a hip squeezer. It is a custom fit. Not big like the Cruzr and not too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I am still a saddle noob. I went and bought the RCH/ sit drag set up first trying to be cheap. Big mistake, the hip pinch was unbearable before 5 minutes. Back to the drawing board and lots of reading. Enter the TX5. I have not hunted in it yet, but have sat in it on a bunch of occasions over an hour in complete comfort. You do fidget, but who stands completely still for 4 hours??? When I hunt out of my climber I never bring the seat, I stand the whole time.
If you are getting hip pinch, your set up is wrong.

I have the Tethrd Mantis and after reading some more I know it’s not the best according to some reviews but I won’t be using a saddle on every hunt I do have stands.
An arborist I met on a job site showed me what he uses and he had a piece of wood in his. He said that relieves his hip squeeze . I’ll try and see if he can send me a pic .

I have the Tethrd Mantis and after reading some more I know it’s not the best according to some reviews but I won’t be using a saddle on every hunt I do have stands.
An arborist I met on a job site showed me what he uses and he had a piece of wood in his. He said that relieves his hip squeeze . I’ll try and see if he can send me a pic .

Well the mantis is a saddle where the manufacturer likes to talk about being in saddle shape. Why?

If you try a Cruzr XC you will not think it is uncomfortable

Well the mantis is a saddle where the manufacturer likes to talk about being in saddle shape. Why?

If you try a Cruzr XC you will not think it is uncomfortable

Thanks I’m looking at it the website now. You can see the shape is completely different. Thanks for the tip.

I did multiple 7-8 hour sits last year and my hips didn't bother me at all.

Tweak all your adjustments and get comfy.

Think of all the pre-treestand era guys that sat on nailed in 2x4's. Is it REALLY that uncomfortable?

I found my comfort with a short tether (below chin height) with the saddle height below my normal belt line by an inch or two. This setup lends itself to a fairly deep "sit or lean" and allows some movement around the tree, but not as much as a long tether. I usually try to have my upper thighs parallel to the ground, if I was straddling the tree.

1. Hip pinch = poor setup, tether height and/or bridge length

2. Or you are not in saddle shape

3. Or you have a saddle made to minimize weight instead of maximizing comfort.
Or a saddle that is too small.

All are true to a degree. But number 3 is the biggest issue and the easiest way to correct hip pinch.

High demand for saddles all yr round. Especially this time of yr tho. 5 wks is pretty standard. Small businesses. Better off they take their time than pump out sub par products

Back