• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Historical wind data

Mdepiano1

I looking for some Input on apps or a website for historical weather / wind data? Cant seem to fine anything to look back and see what a wind direction was on a certain day. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have not used the resources listed above, so thanks to y’all for opening my eyes to some new ideas! For what it’s worth, I found historical wind data just by googling it for the zip codes I hunt. It’s pretty well-documented (often by accident or just in context) in weather and hunting/fishing blogs or articles, at least the amount of data I wanted such as wind direction, speed, humidity, and temperature over X years. I honestly think hunters/anglers who write about the wind in your area over time are your best source of “first-hand” knowledge, and then back up what they say or write with actual meteorological data. I’m definitely going to try the sites the others listed, though.

Windfinder is the best IMO for historical wind data by month. For example, you enter a weather station nearest to you, click on "Statistics", and scroll to the bottom where it has the wind direction distribution % chart.

It shows you the most likely wind directions for your area in the month you select. For example in the area I hunt and for the month of October, there will be some sort of a South wind 56% of the time. This means approximately 17 days in October will have some sort of South wind. This is especially helpful for out of state hunts where you are trying to predetermine hunt locations/areas.

Wunderground is great for looking at individual days but the weekly/monthly data provided isn't the most helpful IMO.

Windfinder is the best IMO for historical wind data by month. For example, you enter a weather station nearest to you, click on "Statistics", and scroll to the bottom where it has the wind direction distribution % chart.

It shows you the most likely wind directions for your area in the month you select. For example in the area I hunt and for the month of October, there will be some sort of a South wind 56% of the time. This means approximately 17 days in October will have some sort of South wind. This is especially helpful for out of state hunts where you are trying to predetermine hunt locations/areas.

Wunderground is great for looking at individual days but the weekly/monthly data provided isn't the most helpful IMO.
I love windfinder for this feature. Many of my properties have bottoms that create vortexes, very helpful to see when they are at their worst.

Back