• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HIT Insert problem

jmeblen

I installed some HIT inserts into FMJ arrows 2 days ago. Tonight I go to put field tips on them and it seems that 5 out of 6 of the insert is set too deep. I used the tool to insert them. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

I’ve done that but was always like 1/4in too shallow. I think it was because I didn’t remove the nock and it built up pressure when I slid it in and when I pulled out the tool, it pushed the hit out a little. Or I stood them up to dry and it fell down a little. Not sure but it was only a couple. I had to just use them for practice arrows. All you can do is cut them a little shorter until you can thread a tip on and use them as a junk arrow. It sucks.

Do you mean that when you go to screw in your field points, you can’t even get them to reach the threads? Or do you mean that the field tip doesn’t sit flush to the shaft because it doesn’t screw in all the way?

you can use a BAR adapter if your problem is that it doesn’t sit flush to the shaft...or trim down the arrow fractions at a time until it threads...HIT inserts are a bit tricky...like @swampsnyper said, you have to make sure that you remove the nicks prior to installing...you also should let the epoxy dry with the arrows laying on the ground, not standing.

I've set them too deep if I pulled the tool out and then put it back in to double check depth. I could get 1 1/2 threads or so but not enough.

Depends on what you glued them in with but I've never had much luck removing inserts glued with the Easton 24 hour 2 part epoxy. Seems like that stuff sets up permanent.

Get a drill bit, the biggest size you can fit inside the arrow. With the dull (drill side) side facing the insert sling it back and forth until it pushes/ knocks the insert out.

Once it’s out clean it up and use hot melt to set them. I personally don’t use the Easton tool it sucks and really causes a mess when it breaks inside the shaft.

I use a field point to set the depth. Just be sure to not screw it all the way in when you set the insert in. Leave it maybe 2-3 threads out so the insert will be deep enough to tighten the broadhead or field points up.

First mistake was buying FMJ arrows. Seriously, these things aren't made for hunting regardless what is said. The aluminum core will hold distortion if the arrow is bent. That's why you don't see anyone shooting aluminum arrows any more. Yes, they are straighter and fly awesome. But to answer your question, you'll probably have to trim the end of the arrow.
Don't take this in a negative way, I'm not bashing at all. But over 30 years of bowhunting and 25 years of running a bow shop I've seen this.

Next time you put HIT inserts in use this and you’ll never have another problem. They’ll also come out if you need them to.

Thanks guys! They would not even thread.

I used the drill bit and got them out with much work, but they are out.

I think I messed up because I was worried they didn't set at the right depth so I reinserted the tool.

I will use a fieldpoint to reinsert them.

Get a drill bit, the biggest size you can fit inside the arrow. With the dull (drill side) side facing the insert sling it back and forth until it pushes/ knocks the insert out.

Once it’s out clean it up and use hot melt to set them. I personally don’t use the Easton tool it sucks and really causes a mess when it breaks inside the shaft.

I use a field point to set the depth. Just be sure to not screw it all the way in when you set the insert in. Leave it maybe 2-3 threads out so the insert will be deep enough to tighten the broadhead or field points up.
When you do this, you are backing the field point out a couple threads right? Is the field point flush when it is installed? Or is there a gap between the point and arrow?

Correct, back it out a few threads that was you’ll be able to tighten it up when the insert is set. Yes it’ll be flush and no gap if you do it this way

Wow...I never thought to just use a field point haha. I have wasted a few axis arrows in my day using that tool and the epoxy.

Back