• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hog doggin

Weldabeast

SH Member
My friends and i went and ran his dogs a couple weeks back.... Took the boat over to an island where he trains the young dogs. We hunted 4 hours and caught 3 and turned them back loose and dispatched this big boar hog. He just got around to sending me the pic. Not the most sporting way to hunt in my book but lots of fun and definitely gets your heart going.

IMG_01031.jpg

I don't dog hunt, but I'm glad folks do. Man and dog have been a powerful combo for a LONG time. And in the thick south, that used to be the primary method of hunting.

Good on ya, brother!

I hog dogged for a few years. It’s a blast and a lot of work. The first time I went we had eight hogs down by lunch. The biggest weighed a little over 300 field dressed and it was a little over a mile from the truck. Luckily it was cold and three of us had them out of the woods back home and in the freezer by about 1am. It makes for a long day.

Use that land to train the young dogs....gotta have hogs to teach them. It's not always about the killing
I agree that it’s not alway about killing, but they breed and spread faster than rabbits. Never have I heard that people run out of wild hogs.:cool::cool:

The big ones swim the river and come and go as they please but the little 50-80 pounders we try to keep around so the young dogs get to start out easy so they enjoy it. You will ruin a potentially good dog by getting them too beat up or injured on their first couple hunts

Good hog! I've hog dogged quite a bit over the years, but for eradication around the farm. I Always try to kill every one of them I can, just because I hate driving a tractor over hog rooting in a hay field lol. I carry a 22 magnum, can kill more than a knife or spear. Also only use bay dogs, no catch dogs so chances of getting a dog cut are slimmer but still happens sometimes. Congrats on the hog though, I don't really care how other people hunt them as long as they kill um lol

The boar in the pic looks like solid muscle. What did it weigh?

My friend in the pic is state feral hog trapper....most always at night and in or close to neighborhoods.....no guns. 3-4 bay dogs and 1 catch dog.

Back