• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Horn Hunter Full Curl Combo Review

d_rek

The Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 has been getting a lot of love here lately. And it looks like a really well made pack with some great features. But I know availability has been spotty (saddlehunter.com strikes again!) and I got a barely used Horn Hunter Full Curl Combo frame pack for a steal off ArcheryTalk.com. I had flagged this pack as one of interest a few months ago, but really couldn't justify dumping several hundred dollars into a pack this year. So when this popped up I jumped all over it.

The one I bought is an older model, and is missing the torso adjustment, but essentially has the same features as the newer ones. Here's a brief list of features:
  • Internal aluminum frame stays
  • Removable 2000 cu. in. "Curl" pack w/ molle loops and removable bow/rifle boot.
  • Collapsible 'Flex' Shelf (meat shelf)
  • Compression panels (kind of like wings on the side of the pack)
  • Plenty of compression straps all over
  • Total weight is listed at 8lbs
  • Made in USA (if you care about, though it's not clear if it's from materials sourced domestically, globally, or some combination of the two. I suspect the third.)
Here's a picture of the pack next to a bic lighter for scale.

IMG_9821.jpg

Now onto the stuff that saddlehunters care about.

Like the MR Pop Up series, there is a collapsible meat shelf for hauling additional loads. The bottom of this shelf has a heavy-duty panel with a series of quick-release buckle attachment points for various configurations. There are also two wings that fold out from the side of the pack that provide additional structure, support, and compression straps to secure loads tight to the frame. Lastly, there is a removable pack which can be loaded up with additional gear - saddle, layers, etc. All things considered it makes what is a western load-hauling backcountry pack into the perfect saddle gear hauling pack for mobile hunts.

Here I have loaded up the Horn Hunter combo pack with a set of 10 wild edge stepps, a DIY XOP platform, and an aerohunter kestrel with pouches for linemans belt and tree tether.

IMG_9822.jpg
IMG_9823.jpg
IMG_9824.jpg
IMG_9825.jpg
IMG_9826.jpg

Last edited:
So the one thing that sticks out is that this pack is about twice as heavy as the MRPU28 by almost twice as much. But it should be noted that this pack carries exceptionally well (at least for me anyway) and it doesn't feel like you're carrying 20lbs~ of saddle gear on your back. The quick hikes I did around the yard were very comfortable, and I didn't notice any rubbing or chafing.

I also really like the way the pack configures and how you can add/remove the day pack for additional storage.

I'm also really excited to see how the mantis + predator platform pack into the horn hunter pack too. I think the bulk/weight savings will be signfiicant relative to the XOP platform and kestrel.

Lastly, if you're having trouble securing a MRPU28 I think the horn hunter full curl combo is a great alternative. I'll be looking forward to putting it through it's paces this fall.

I like it - might be my next purchase if the Horn Hunter Main Beam (the MSDM is sending me) doesn't work out. Do you think there is still ample capacity to load up camera gear in addition to what you have thus far? (camera arm, camcorder, base, etc.)?

I like it - might be my next purchase if the Horn Hunter Main Beam (the MSDM is sending me) doesn't work out. Do you think there is still ample capacity to load up camera gear in addition to what you have thus far? (camera arm, camcorder, base, etc.)?

For sure. I am probably running a bulkier setup than most, But if you stuff the kestrel into the meat shelf with the sticks and platform you can presumably use the entire removeable pack for other items. Here I’ve done just that.

0c0e03a4ab7b8a563da6de5854c40414.jpg

df9623127397417b7a3a622591f1877d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep I just watched the video on the site - think this is the answer I have been looking for. will probably order the complete system to have the 5000 pack just in case I get silly and think I can pull off another backcountry solo elk hunt again before I hang it up. Thanks for highlighting this. I think I can just use the frame and my beloved Kathy Kelly pack and make it work for filming/whitetail hunting.

Yep I just watched the video on the site - think this is the answer I have been looking for. will probably order the complete system to have the 5000 pack just in case I get silly and think I can pull off another backcountry solo elk hunt again before I hang it up. Thanks for highlighting this. I think I can just use the frame and my beloved Kathy Kelly pack and make it work for filming/whitetail hunting.

I'm considering grabbing the 3000 cu. in. bag to go with what I already have. Would be handy in the spring for our foraging trips to Northern Michigan. Usually do a Morel Camp on state land with a couple other friends. I didn't got this year because I offloaded a bunch of backpacking gear that was just collecting dust. But the price of the pack is reasonable enough and I paid so little for the Horn Hunter frame that it can't hurt to have it on hand.

I've got this pack as well and used it last year in Wyoming to haul a cow elk off the mountain. I really like it but don't have the removable day pack yet. I have the meat bag and the pack carried over 100# - both front legs (not deboned), backstraps, tenders, neck meat, etc. I'm going to grab the day pack before my next out west trip next year.

I picked up the Alps Trailblazer to have a smaller day pack for use here in Michigan. Should work well for the early season and may switch to the Horn Hunter for late season with more layers to carry.

Just wanted to follow up on this review since I used this pack a ton last season.

I eventually ended up selling this pack post season. The primary reason was this: Noise.

Maybe it's an issue with the older models, but I found that the padding in the shoulder and waist straps gets very loud after a just a few minutes of hiking. The noise was loud creaking/squeaking from the padding material rubbing against itself or chafing against the strap material.

The noise was ultimately a deal breaker as I couldn't sneak into my spots as quiet as i'd like. I actually felt that the squeaking was louder than my footfalls on crunchy leaves.

SO...that being said, does anyone have experience with newer Horn Hunter packs? Outside of the noise I found the design just about perfect for my gear hauling needs.

If not horn hunter are there other packs I should be looking at? I really liked the batwings and meat shelf on the horn hunter packs.

First of all that was one hell of a review. I bought and returned one a few months ago. Although I didn’t use it in the field I’ll share my thoughts. I packed it with everything I put into my badlands pursuit then strapped 50lbs under the meat hauler and it wasn’t great. It will pack out a deer but I think the pop is the clear choice if you plan on packing out meat.
I agree with you about the noise. The material was louder than my pursuit but man those zippers were like bells hanging off the pack. If you pick up the pack and shake it expect to hear them jingle. Granted that was with the pack empty and you do not usually shake a back pack but they just add to the overall noise.
Everyone packs differently but I didn’t love the hip pockets. The pack itself is big and it has internal pockets I just didn’t have use for them. Again I know some guys love them.
Overall it’s a nice pack that will get the job done but not for me. I sent back the pop up 18 because it was too small and I will be purchasing the 28 as soon as it comes into stock. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have had a Horn Hunter Main Beam for a couple of years, and have been using a new Full Curl since November 2018. I have never noticed the noise that has been described earlier in this thread. The large pockets on the waist belt take a little getting used to, but now I really like them. Headlamp and extra flashlight in one, range finder, cliff bars, Sawyer squeeze water filter in the others. Horn Hunter corrected the zippers on the waist belt pockets. They now zip open from back to front so they can not be accidentally unzipped when pushing through thick brush.

I use the frame with day pack most of the time. Late season when more cloths are required I will use a light stuff sack for extra clothing/rain gear and it slides down into the meat shelf with the day pack secured to the outside of the pack with the snaps and compression straps. The modular design and versatility make this pack ideal for my needs. All in all I feel like it’s a great value, and a lot of pack for the money.

I have had a Horn Hunter Main Beam for a couple of years, and have been using a new Full Curl since November 2018. I have never noticed the noise that has been described earlier in this thread. The large pockets on the waist belt take a little getting used to, but now I really like them. Headlamp and extra flashlight in one, range finder, cliff bars, Sawyer squeeze water filter in the others. Horn Hunter corrected the zippers on the waist belt pockets. They now zip open from back to front so they can not be accidentally unzipped when pushing through thick brush.

I use the frame with day pack most of the time. Late season when more cloths are required I will use a light stuff sack for extra clothing/rain gear and it slides down into the meat shelf with the day pack secured to the outside of the pack with the snaps and compression straps. The modular design and versatility make this pack ideal for my needs. All in all I feel like it’s a great value, and a lot of pack for the money.

Great info. I sent horn hunter an email and might give them a call but I suspect maybe it was an issue with older packs. I really love this pack and want to keep using it, just can’t deal with the loud groaning and creaking from the padding.

Great info. I sent horn hunter an email and might give them a call but I suspect maybe it was an issue with older packs. I really love this pack and want to keep using it, just can’t deal with the loud groaning and creaking from the padding.

I found your post and was wondering if you ever figured out if the "noise" issue is the same for the newer models. I've been researching a lot of packs and the full curl lite combo is on the short list of possibilities.

I found your post and was wondering if you ever figured out if the "noise" issue is the same for the newer models. I've been researching a lot of packs and the full curl lite combo is on the short list of possibilities.

When I contacted horn hunter a couple of years ago regarding the noise in my shoulder straps I was told that they occasionally have to use a different supplier for the foam in the straps and they have had issues with the squeaking/creaking noise because of how the foam rubs on the strap material when they change suppliers. They apologized and graciously offered me a new full curl frame + pack at wholesale cost, which I made good on. The newer (2019) full curl pack I had (I still have it) did not have the same issues with noise, and the newest one I have (the full curl lite) i've never had any issues with noise in the straps whatsoever.

When I contacted horn hunter a couple of years ago regarding the noise in my shoulder straps I was told that they occasionally have to use a different supplier for the foam in the straps and they have had issues with the squeaking/creaking noise because of how the foam rubs on the strap material. They apologized and graciously offered me a new full curl frame + pack at wholesale cost, which I made good on. The newer (2019) full curl pack I had did not have the same issues with noise, and the newest one I have (the full curl lite) i've never had any issues with noise in the straps whatsoever.
Good to hear! I assume you still like it and would recommend? I've been going back and forth between this and the mystery ranch packs, but obviously the Horn Hunters are cheaper.

Good to hear! I assume you still like it and would recommend? I've been going back and forth between this and the mystery ranch packs, but obviously the Horn Hunters are cheaper.

Yes definitely. I think the full curl lite is about perfect for saddle hunting and hauling gear versus the slightly heavier full curl frame. I think you save 2-3lbs with the full curl lite.

Sent from d_mobile

Yes definitely. I think the full curl lite is about perfect for saddle hunting and hauling gear versus the slightly heavier full curl frame. I think you save 2-3lbs with the full curl lite.

Sent from d_mobile
Do you recommend the G2 or G3?

Do you recommend the G2 or G3?

I have the “curl pack” AKA the g2 pack that came with the full curl combo which is 1400 cu. in. And is about perfect size for packing extra layers, gear, etc. and hauling up the tree. My problem is with a larger pack I’m always tempted to pack more uneccessaey stuff and it becomes more stuff to deal with in the tree. The g2 pack is just the perfect size for my needs. I have other pictures on a different thread for the full curl lite showing the g2 pack loaded up.

Sent from d_mobile

I have the “curl pack” AKA the g2 pack that came with the full curl combo which is 1400 cu. in. And is about perfect size for packing extra layers, gear, etc. and hauling up the tree. My problem is with a larger pack I’m always tempted to pack more uneccessaey stuff and it becomes more stuff to deal with in the tree. The g2 pack is just the perfect size for my needs. I have other pictures on a different thread for the full curl lite showing the g2 pack loaded up.

Sent from d_mobile
That makes sense! Thanks for all your help! Gonna order one now.

Back