• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hot. Weather turkey hunting.

Ontariofarmer

Out turkey hunting this am.
70 degree presently. Going to be 90 degrees this pm.
Turkey season ends May 31 And I have one tag left.
I hear nothing this morning.
So you got weather guys. What should my plan be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Out turkey hunting this am.
70 degree presently. Going to be 90 degrees this pm.
Turkey season ends May 31 And I have one tag left.
I hear nothing this morning.
So you got weather guys. What should my plan be

You described 90% of the season here in the south (or at least here in NC due to our so called wildlife mgt department and their inflexible season dates). As much as I hate "deer hunting" for turkeys, it is a necessary evil in hot weather. Find the fields they are feeding in for the afternoons and sit and wait.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you know there are birds there? Sit, wait, and call a little more often and aggressively than early season. When you get answer, confirm he heard you, then sit back.
You are describing my hunt 2 weeks ago. It was 75 at 0630. Never heard a single bird. At 1030 I heard a single gobble mixed in with some Canada geese honks. Grabbed the slate. Before I could finish the call, he gobbled back, 400 yds away. Within 10 minutes he was with in 10 yards and laying dead. Only bird I heard all day, hen or gobbler. They don't talk much in late season. He hit the field off a power line and said "HEY LADIES!" It is amazing how dead on he was, about where I was from 400 yards away and a few calls on my end. He came into the woods on the path and made a right hand turn directly to where I was. Almost scared me how quickly he got to me.

Wasn't a positive ID, because I didn't have eyes on the field, but he made progressively closer gobbles as he crossed the field on the way towards me. There is a power line at the other end of the field they travel (someone else's land) that connects 3 different fields.

Hey@Loopwing. Are you sure that was the same bird? Also @Ontariofarmer I didn't think it got anywhere near 90 degrees this time of year in Ontario.

Yes it does sometimes. We have the same weather as Michigan in southern Ontario.
Essex county is the same latitude as Northern California.

Yesterday and today. 33 Celsius. Or 91.

b78b1c9339cc9f3053c5d7005187b714.jpg

Last edited:
I shot a late season tom last year using a jake decoy set out in a well strutted area of a field. Not sure if it was the setup or I just got really lucky. I ended up having two hens pop out to my left and the tom was way down on the right side of the field with me smack dab in the middle. Tom came a long way to come beat up my decoy.

It's probably not gonna help getting a tom into a field but definetly helped me bring him closer once he did show up.

Back