• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How are you getting deer in your truck when solo?

Spartan

Starting to do more remote/solo hunting and realized last year that I need a better solution than the old pull-and-pray method for getting heavy deer up into my truck bed. With this method, from the ground, I just tie the antlers off near the tailgate so it's head/rack is held above the tailgate, and then I climb up into the truck bed and start pulling, using the tail gate as a fulcrum point. Not great...

I'm kicking around a few ideas such as a hitch hoist or sled and ramp. I've used the hitch-mount hoists in the past, but I'm not a big fan of them. Curious to hear some good ideas from the members here.

So what are you all doing?

I've always drove an suv/hatchback. It's really easy to get an animal on it with bad hitch rack. I have played with a piece of plywood cut to fit the bottom of the rack that rides in it and can be removed and used as a ramp, but it's not really necessary.

If you have a pickup bed, a cheapo hitch rack is easy to leave in it. My dad keeps one and will use it to keep from having to put a deer or heavy ice chest in the bed while solo

Last edited:
This probably isn’t what you’re looking for but it might help in a worst case situation. Cut the deer up into quarters. Watch @Nutterbuster video on how to do it on YouTube. That’s what I did and his videos help a ton. You can do it super quick. You’re gonna do it anyways so it’s either blow you back out or cut it up. I pack my deer out so maybe this doesn’t help you tho but this is a gotta do whatcha gotta do kind of thing.

My method is almost exactly like this except
I fastened an eyebolt to the bed close up by the cab then got a cheap come along from harbor fright and a couple 1x6s 6 feet long. I’d drop the tailgate, throw one end of the boards on the tailgate and the other end on the ground like a ramp, throw the deer on the “ramp”, girth hitch or throw a loop around the head and start cranking. You can throw a tarp on top of the boards first to reduce drag. If you don’t want to throw an eyebolt in the bed the above method works as well I just didn’t use an anchor point

Put the handle of my sherpa mag game cart on the tailgate then pick up on the other end and slide/horse it into back of the truck. You can put the truck down hill of the cart if it is a real "CORKER".

I'll add back the pickup into the ditch if needed for less of a steep angle.

I have this toyloader and I use two wood ramps with these brackets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220512-151455_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220512-151455_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 53
I've got a hinged bed topper on my truck so I can't crawl in/stand up much past the tail gate. I use a version of the system @Exhumis posted. I simply attach a biner with micropulley to the front bed cargo hook, run a rope off the deer thru the pulley to a tree behind the truck. With the deer's antlers lifted over the edge of the tail gate, I get in and pull the truck forward. The rope pulls him right in.

Back