• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How do you backup your Mantis?

ztrumble

Hey all, been doing the sit drag climbing harness thing for a few years. I always liked having a backup line going from The Rock harness to the tree as well as the tether on the sitdrag. Everything doubled up.

Picked up a used mantis this year and wondering how to run a similar setup. What can I backup to on the Mantis?

While sitting in the tree, I have a tether going to the Mantis, and where can I set up a backup line in case the tether should fail?

Thanks for ideas.

Hey all, been doing the sit drag climbing harness thing for a few years. I always liked having a backup line going from The Rock harness to the tree as well as the tether on the sitdrag. Everything doubled up.

Picked up a used mantis this year and wondering how to run a similar setup. What can I backup to on the Mantis?

While sitting in the tree, I have a tether going to the Mantis, and where can I set up a backup line in case the tether should fail?

Thanks for ideas.

If you have a well maintained tether it will not fail. You would be hard pressed to find reports of equipment failure of maintained equipment.

if you want to run a backup I would use a slack dynamic rope attached to your bridge. Bridge would be a single point of failure but see point one.

For complete redundancy, I think you'd have to basically do the same thing with your RC harness as you did with the sit drag. That way you're not dependent on the mantis either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Go to about the 12 minute mark, I talk about my redundancy steps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Go to about the 12 minute mark, I talk about my redundancy steps.

Nice and simple backup to the main bridge and tether. Might start doing that myself.

My top concern hasn't been the gear failing, but me spacing out doing something stupid. This would also provide insurance against that!

Nice and simple backup to the main bridge and tether. Might start doing that myself.

My top concern hasn't been the gear failing, but me spacing out doing something stupid. This would also provide insurance against that!
I'm glad it helped, I'm not a fan of single point of failures in my system. I know I can't eliminate them all, but I do what I can. At the end of the day we have a responsibility to make it home to our loved ones.

Back