• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How do you decide what method?

Tr33_n1nj@

SH Member
I’m sitting here looking at my collection of ways to climb trees. I’ve come to the realization that I’m not ready to commit to just one, but in an effort to make my life easier I’m trying to determine if there’s a best case scenario for each method so that at least I might be able to carry only one with me from the truck. Plus this could be useful for others trying to decide which way to go. I prefer to rappel down regardless of how I climb because it allows me to stay attached to the tree the whole way down and it’s just fun. So here’s what I’ve got so far:

4 20” heliums with attached 2 step aiders and predator platform- will be for shorter walks where I know I’m climbing 20 feet or less

8 primal steps, knaider/swaider, and predator platform - shorter walks with possibility/ probability of climbing over 20 feet.

Shikar mini, 2 step aider, and top step scout (1 -stick) - longer walks and/or going in deep and blind

Bolts with or without platform - choice presets on private where I need to slip in quickly and quietly- er

SRT and platform - struggling with this one, I guess trees with no other feasible way up, or some sneaky presets on public?

I also have a couple of those 20-25 ft ladder sticks that I’m eyeballing to preset with bolts above to get higher in some trees and save bolts.

Please chime in if you think I’m missing some areas where some of these methods shine or not using them to their fullest potential. Also feel free to list other methods you may use and what scenarios you think they are best. Thanks.

I have about the same gear as you. This year I will use SRT at presets and one-stick everywhere else. My Primals and cut-down Heliums will stay home...At least that is the plan, for now.

You sound like me. I have several methods. DRT when necessary.
Bolts whenever possible, preset.
Sticks, Aiders, Spurs.
Whatever works and whatever I think will be easiest.
I don’t carry a rope just to taper down though. I know a lot of people so that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it dude, repelling down is only real constant.

Single stick hawk helium w webbing step.- annoying to pack stick in and out.

Bolts- pain in the ass to hunt different trees.

Squirrel steps- slow to put up and take down, great to climb.

Srt/drt- turns out I cant throw a throw ball for crap in the woods I hunt- loud noisey And I'm not that great at getting the ball to fall properly without catching extra branches

5 step aider with tubular webbing to girth hitch it to the tree for single sticking.- my answer for the upcoming season.

WE stepps with 5 step aider to hook between stepps- I just didnt like the bulk of the stepps, or felt that they were a pain to climb up.

Trial and error was my method, a summer full of spending too much money on different kinds of climbing methods.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Yup. There’s no easy way to get up a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sticks, LWHC, and SRT gear. Only the first two have seen hunting use so far as the SRT stuff is new.

Which I use depends on how far I'm going and the type of trees I'm preparing for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Private preset - Cranford screw ins are my go to but I’m experimenting with bolts due to cost

Public I’m using three WE stepp options
1. 5 stepp bag with 4 step aider plus either Predator platform or SS ROS (Up to 25-27 ft)
2. 8 stepp bag with 4 step aider - up to 6 stepps for climbing and the other two for ROS (up to 30 ft). Gives me more flexibility with the added stepps and I don’t need to carry the Predator
3. 12 stepp bag no aider - for when I’m hunting lower during rifle season and don’t want to mess with the aider

My methods depend heavily on where I’m hunting.

River bottom or crp ground - I’m taking 3 sticks with movable aider & a couple extra slings for large trees

Hill country - scout/hunts I’ll just take the platform & 2 step aider

Pine plantation/cutover - I’m taking hang-on & three sticks

Cypress Swamp - scout/hunt platform & aider, hunts possible 3 sticks or hang-on & 3 sticks

I never worry about height. I can get as high as needed with any of my setups. Plan on rappelling down with all setups.

I have an easy choice compared to a lot of you. I like the WE steps everywhere. I've never had trouble tying them on, IMO they are super quiet, and versatile. I can climb with the K/S for height and less weight or use the Cain method for KISS climbing. My goal for climbing this year is to stay a low as cover, and terrain will allow. I never carry more than 5 steps and with the kydex holster deployment and retrieval are a cinch. I'm also not hunting miles back so the weight isn't as important as packability and ease of use. I use the Predator most of the time but the option of using my top step as a platform for short sits where I think I'd be moving a couple of times throughout the day, is attractive also, like I did before I got my platform.

I posted this last year but there may be some interest here. Just another way to get the rope up a tree for less than $10. My avatar shows how I put it on my pack.

Last edited:
I have an easy choice compared to a lot of you. I like the WE steps everywhere. I've never had trouble tying them on, IMO they are super quiet, and versatile. I can climb with the K/S for height and less weight or use the Cain method for KISS climbing. My goal for climbing this year is to stay a low as cover, and terrain will allow. I never carry more than 5 steps and with the kydex holster deployment and retrieval are a cinch. I'm also not hunting miles back so the weight isn't as important as packability and ease of use. I use the Predator most of the time but the option of using my top step as a platform for short sits where I think I'd be moving a couple of times throughout the day, is attractive also, like I did before I got my platform.
The only time they didn't work for me was in a hard, flaky barked silver maple and it was the only tree around for a few hundred yards suitable to sit in. Once the ropes are stretched and the knot is figured out they're a cinch. I carry a 3 step ring of steps along with the top WE step and can get around pretty good.

SRT mostly for me. I use a lone wolf hand climber seat for my platform. If I get to the woods and don’t want to use one of my preset paracord trees I just use the hand climber seat to get up the tree. If I’m hunting afternoons I can either toss my throw ball in a tree for SRT, use one of my preset paracords for SRT, or just climb a random tree with the lone wolf hand climber seat. I usually leave a paracord loop if I plan to hunt the tree again in any years to come.

SRT has one big advantage. Your tie in point is always above your center of gravity so there will be no upside down moments. Otherwise, they all work.

SRT/DRT just seemed like so much less work to me so that's what I went with. Course I probably will get most of my use of my saddle for gun season so I can be less precise with tree selection/location than with the bow. Probably will do more bow hunting this year now I have a saddle as I never liked climbers and ladder stands aren't really feasible where I want to hunt.

- SRT with preset paracord for known "Killin' Trees"
- One-Stick for everything else

Keeps it simple and consistent...

Back