• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How do you know if a Saddle is too big?

VTBowguy

I have a size 2 Kestrel, I wear a 34" waist but live in Vermont and tend to hunt in bulky clothes with layers. The saddle seems fine but tends to ride up. I also seem to be more of a leaner than a sitter. Any advice? I've tried all the adjustments I can think of on the saddle it self so I'm just wondering if its too big or that's just how it is.
Thanks!

I have a size 2 Kestrel, I wear a 34" waist but live in Vermont and tend to hunt in bulky clothes with layers. The saddle seems fine but tends to ride up. I also seem to be more of a leaner than a sitter. Any advice? I've tried all the adjustments I can think of on the saddle it self so I'm just wondering if its too big or that's just how it is.
Thanks!
Hey, I'm in VT as well. I"m the same size as you. I had a sz 1 kestrel I really liked for light clothes(early bow) but upon practicing with anything bulkier, it wasnt enough material so I sold it and am on the look out for a size 2. From the majority of people I"ve talked to, you're going to want to stick wiht a 2. try adjusting your tether height a little lower at a time. you shouldnt feel like you're falling out of it. That can be addressed with setup.

I don't know that I've ever talked to someone who felt a saddle was too big. I have seen a lot of folks move up a size though. I just ordered a size 2 kite myself after 2 seasons in a size 1 kestrel.

Also, I've noticed that most pants sizes are...flattering. I generally wear a 32-34 waist pant, depending on brand. The pants I have on now are actually 32s, and I could pull them right off of me without unbuttoning them.

However, when I measure my waist, I'm more like 36-38"...

I wonder if more folks would get accurate sizing if they actually measured their waist.

My opinion, which is worth what you gave for it.
You can tell when a saddle it too big when it feels like you are sitting on a couple of 2” straps. I know a Mantis XL is to big for me I didn’t have any support under my arse except the straps on the outer edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion, which is worth what you gave for it.
You can tell when a saddle it too big when it feels like you are sitting on a couple of 2” straps. I know a Mantis XL is to big for me I didn’t have any support under my arse except the straps on the outer edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. If you don’t have the rear end to fill that gap between straps it’s not gonna be comfy. That’s why I prefer a saddle that is slightly smaller just because I have no rear end lol.

Tethrd-Ginger Ninja/Fire Crotch Fiddler

Thanks guys! I also saw somewhere where a guy was girth hitching his Amsteel bridge toward the bottom of the bridge loops to crate more of a cupped fir around the bottom of the saddle. Not sure how I feel about that yet but maybe could add another rope adjuster to the bridge without compromising the knot strength?

I'm one of the guy's that girth hitch my Kestrel twards the bottom of my bridge loops. I find it very comfortable. I'm a 36' waist and have a size #2 Kestrel.

Back