• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How have your T one sticks held up?

bigmike23

I know this was talked about heavily awhile back, but to those whove had them for a month or so now, how have they held up? Obviously season isn't even close to be using them heavily yet, but just trying them in the front yard with the backwoods aider 3 outta 4 sticks the glue is broke on the bottom. Only the pin holds the step on. Going to contact Tethrd within the next couple weeks. It isn't a priority for me right now but looking to see what others experienced

I have 5 and have busted the glue on the bottom step on 2 of them. I have been in contact with tethrd and they are developing a solution to the issue.

I have 5 and have busted the glue on the bottom step on 2 of them. I have been in contact with tethrd and they are developing a solution to the issue.

To your particular issue or the issue for all the defective sticks sold to date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense to anyone but I was skeptical of the whole glue thing from the beginning. It’s an interesting idea and seems like it could work. I’m no engineer or machinist but wonder if some other kind of chemical bond would be better if there is such a thing. Kinda thought that’s what was said about these sticks in the beginning or maybe that was kind of fancy word smithing. Again no offense to anyone on that one either. Every company has to market.

No offense to anyone but I was skeptical of the whole glue thing from the beginning. It’s an interesting idea and seems like it could work. I’m no engineer or machinist but wonder if some other kind of chemical bond would be better if there is such a thing. Kinda thought that’s what was said about these sticks in the beginning or maybe that was kind of fancy word smithing. Again no offense to anyone on that one either. Every company has to market.

Easiest thing to do would be to pin it on 2 axis so the step can’t move at all then glue it.

Pinning it on one axis let’s the step rock popping the glue.

The pin will hold when the glue breaks so you don’t die but continuing to climb them with broken glue is foolish. It’s only a matter of time before that rollpin walks out or the holes ovalize

Most structural adhesive are designed to fail below a certain load/force. For instance, in the auto industry, the high performance structural adhesives (HPA) used to bond parts of metal together are designed to fail before too much crash force is transferred to the passengers of the vehicle, effectively dissipating the forces and allowing the body to crumple.

So, knowing what I know about epoxies, mastics, and the like, it was unlikely a chemical weld was going to be successfully applied to this type of design. Sure, the forces necessary to break a chemical weld are significant, but the type of force applied to the structure need to be tested. A lap shear test tells a very different story when contrasted to a t-peel test, or a 180 degree peel test. Then, there is the real life application. I’ve learned in R&D that the most well designed material in a lab setting can fall apart when it comes to the intended application.

That's promising to hear. Hope this issue is resolved somehow. I was just really starting to like these sticks and may be my go to even over beasts

What does everyone think is an acceptable resolution in this case? I mean would you be satisfied with a DIY fix similar to the stacking pins?

For the cost of those sticks, i would not be happy having to diy anything on them because of a design flaw. Any diy I on anything I own and use should be because I want to do it, not because I have to do it to get them to work MOSTLY how they were intended to begin with.

For the cost of those sticks, i would not be happy having to diy anything on them because of a design flaw. Any diy I on anything I own and use should be because I want to do it, not because I have to do it to get them to work MOSTLY how they were intended to begin with.

I agree. Seems like they are scrambling for a solution so that the next batch of sticks won't have any issues but fixing the issues for the sticks they already sold is the major issue

Could a coupling nut inside the titanium tube with two grade 8 bolts work as a replacement for the pin ?
That’s a small hole in the stand off that may not be a big enough bolt to work.
Or they could machine out a puck drilled and tapped that goes inside the tube and that may also cut down on the hollow tube noise.
545178d06ae310098bd74314b431797f.jpg

Last edited:
I was talking to one of the industries "Heavy Hitters" yesterday (Dumb as that sounds) and he told me about those T sticks being glued together. I had no idea, but that is some wild stuff right there.
In other news he told me a mini climber is in the making....birds the Word..

I swear if it’s not one thing with this company it’s another. If they issue a full refund and recall I will eat the rear end out of a possum.
I think your safe, however I can't imagine a fix OTHER than a recall.

Can you imagine any alternatives?
1. Just use the roll pin. Its strong enough.
2. We'll send you some more glue. Good luck this season.
3. ??? I can't think of any other fixes that would secure the steps to a titanium tube.

I swear if it’s not one thing with this company it’s another. If they issue a full refund and recall I will eat the rear end out of a possum.

I feel for you if you actually end up having to do that.

Back