• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How high on 3 Hawk Helium sticks?

LiverEatingJoe

How high can you guys get on 3 Hawks with no "aiders and snaiders"?

What is your best tactic for getting the most height out of your sticks? I found that if I place my next (or first) stick too much higher than my knee, it is really hard to get my big bulk to step on to the first step to transition.

With 3 short (22 inch) sticks and 1 CAYG Aider - I can get 20-22 foot. If I need to go higher I one stick and that is unlimited but with one move 25-27 foot.

I use 4 screw in steps to get close to 8 ft off the ground to my first stick (+96"). Then my maximum stick interval would be probably 30" (I'm somewhat tall and stretch). I don't usually step that far, but could with a lanyard. The stick is around 30", so with 3 sticks and 2 intervals between sticks that's +150". I don't like big steps from last stick to platform so +18".

That's 22' max with 3 sticks and 4 screw in steps. Without the screw in steps, I'd probably only be getting around 16.5".

In practice, I use 4 screw in steps and 4 sticks (no aiders), and I don't place them 30" apart, just what seems an easy step. When I am in on my platform and shoot my laser rangefinder straight down to measure height to my shoulder, I am always 8 to 9 yards from ground to rangefinder in hand. Of course, that thing rounds, so that's plus minus a foot or so.

With 3 short (22 inch) sticks and 1 CAYG Aider - I can get 20-22 foot. If I need to go higher I one stick and that is unlimited but with one move 25-27 foot.

I’ve been MIA most of season. What’s CAYG? Have a link to one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry As You Go

Make the top of the aider with a longer loop that reaches the top of your stick. The aider steps will hang down below stick still. Place top loop over top stick steps and on tree bracket. When you hang next higher stick, then pick up aider top loop and move it up to your newly hung stick.

If you are well hidden
That’s me too.
You think that’s high enough?

If you are well concealed with cover behind and on each side and ready for an ambush, then definitely.

When I hunt from a traditional stand and am not super concealed, then I always go higher. I like around 25 feet.

Try out leafy camo and face paint in trees. I find it helps. Also, this is going to sound goofy, but face paint mentally makes you feel like a better predator and gives you confidence (sounds weird, but works for me).

It was a moveable aider until Dave got all fancy and busted out with an acronym.so now he have the CAYG aider and everything else is just so last season.

It's been for me, but I'm not an experienced archer. My effective range is 25 yards and I'd rather not take steep angle shots from 20' or higher.

I hear ya.
If I really want to stretch it out I get 15 to 16 feet but normally I am more in the 12 to 13 foot range. Its plenty high enough.

Last year I shot a doe at 15 yards. The tree I was in was on a hill side and she cam from above. When I shot here she was eye level, staring at me and never had a chance. I put it right were I was aiming and didn't go more then 30 yards.

If you have the right cover it doesn't matter how high you are. Back cover plays a major factor in how high I go and what trees I select. I hunt with a guy that tags out every year and he hunts 3 feet off the ground. He puts 2 steps in and throws up a stand that has a platform only.

I was 20 yards away from this 2 year old on the ground in the last few days of December. It had been a long season and I would have happily put my tag on him. I was behind a double trunk tree, which would be nearly the same cover if I was 15 feet in the air. I didn't end up coming down the trail I needed, so maybe I'll see him next year.

this tcam pick was from a different day that my encounter with him.

buck 1.jpg

I hear ya.
If I really want to stretch it out I get 15 to 16 feet but normally I am more in the 12 to 13 foot range. Its plenty high enough.

Last year I shot a doe at 15 yards. The tree I was in was on a hill side and she cam from above. When I shot here she was eye level, staring at me and never had a chance. I put it right were I was aiming and didn't go more then 30 yards.

If you have the right cover it doesn't matter how high you are. Back cover plays a major factor in how high I go and what trees I select. I hunt with a guy that tags out every year and he hunts 3 feet off the ground. He puts 2 steps in and throws up a stand that has a platform only.

Back