• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How I use a LW Hand Climber video

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
I've noticed a lot of questions circulating around the forum about using a hand climber as a climbing method and platform. In this video I address how to use it, how to adjust it, how to secure it as a platform, and a few tricks I utilize with it. This is my first video so I'm sure there is plenty wrong with it. I just thought some may be able to benefit from it. Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks for the video man. It seems like the way you got off the platform when you were ratcheting it down could also be used to unhook the platform and move it over a branch. Have you ever tried that? Most of our trees where I hunt have a few branches to get around.....

Thanks for the video man. It seems like the way you got off the platform when you were ratcheting it down could also be used to unhook the platform and move it over a branch. Have you ever tried that? Most of our trees where I hunt have a few branches to get around.....

Yes I have done it and it's easy to do. I should've covered that in the video. I was racing against time because I had to throw it together after work. Good catch though. As long as you have the recovery line hooked in it's safe to detach the HC from the tree to move it above a branch. They key to success in that situation is having a linesman belt so you can unhook your tether and place it above the branch and, getting the HC as close as you can below the branch before unhooking it and placing it above. May sound complicated but it takes less than a minute.

Yes I have done it and it's easy to do. I should've covered that in the video. I was racing against time because I had to throw it together after work. Good catch though. As long as you have the recovery line hooked in it's safe to detach the HC from the tree to move it above a branch. They key to success in that situation is having a linesman belt so you can unhook your tether and place it above the branch and, getting the HC as close as you can below the branch before unhooking it and placing it above. May sound complicated but it takes less than a minute.

Thanks. One more stupid question: the reason you use the hand climber seat vs. the base is just bulk / weight reduction? It would work with the base...right?

Yeah a base would work but it's way too big. If I only had a base laying around I'd prolly cut it way down to the size of the seat. Even the seat is a pretty big platform. Way more than you need. The reason I use a hand climber top half of the time is because of convenience. It's a climbing method and a platform in one and I don't think there is any other public land legal climbing method that is as easy, fast, or convenient as the hand climber. My other primary climbing method is 1 sticking with a muddy pro stick. I am pretty proficient at it and been doing it for years and it still takes more effort and time than the hand climber

Nice video! My advice to anyone using this method is to back up the ascender with a friction hitch above the ascender. The Kong Duck or Ropeman are not fall arrest devices and should be backed up if slack enters the system. The ascender will act as a tender for the friction hitch.

Nice video! My advice to anyone using this method is to back up the ascender with a friction hitch above the ascender. The Kong Duck or Ropeman are not fall arrest devices and should be backed up if slack enters the system. The ascender will act as a tender for the friction hitch.

Good point. I should've mentioned that in the video as well. I'm running a duck and an autoblock.

I've been not-so-efficient in going from the ground up to hunting height. I like the aider trick to set the initial height of the HC up a bit higher. Thanks, picked up some useful tricks in this vid.

I've been not-so-efficient in going from the ground up to hunting height. I like the aider trick to set the initial height of the HC up a bit higher. Thanks, picked up some useful tricks in this vid.

Great. That was the goal. I'm not an expert by any means but wanted to hopefully hit on some things I've learned on my own that others may not be doing yet. Especially the newer crowd. Thanks for watching.

Another option is to turn your tether into a temporary redsquirrel aider (tm) to use for the step up. I’ve also contemplated using a knaider for this.

I’m gonna play around with this method on spots that I know I’m going up straight pines to 35-45ft

Only problem is bark damage potential on repeat trees

Currently need 6 chopped sticks with aiders & Predator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m gonna play around with this method on spots that I know I’m going up straight pines to 35-45ft

Only problem is bark damage potential on repeat trees

Currently need 6 chopped sticks with aiders & Predator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LWHC does very minimal damage on trees if any at all. I haven't noticed any. My wild edge steps demolish trees and my muddys make surface marks but the teeth on the HC aren't that big or sharp so it doesn't really do a whole lot. As for straight trees, you'd be surprised what you can get away with. I'm not trying to over promote the hand climber. It's just one of the few tools that I use. But it is a very capable climbing method

Another option is to turn your tether into a temporary redsquirrel aider (tm) to use for the step up. I’ve also contemplated using a knaider for this.

You could definitely use a knaider but you wouldn't be able to start as high. I put the hand climber at waist height in the video but I can squeeze probably another foot higher if I have to. With a knaider I'm good for no higher than waist high. But a knaider would get you past the base of most trees. I went with my dual purpose attached aider because it's one less thing I have to worry about forgetting and it serves two important purposes

Awesome video Murph.
This method is so simple I'm surprised everyone is not using it.

That surprises me as well. Although I don't use it all the time it is very convenient being dual purpose. Saves on weight and if you practice with it and carry a linesman belt to get around branches it has very little limitations. I would also say it's one of the safer methods of climbing that we use as well because even though you introduce slack in your tether, you are very well balanced while making the adjustment and if you have an ascender you can pretty much eliminate any slack throughout the entire climbing process. If I was a really large person this would be my go to climbing method for sure.

Back