• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How I use the Wild Edge Stepps

Cain

D9mXpUhm11A
Was just wanting to show yaw how I climb and little trick I use to take the stepps off the tree. The belt I am using in the video is a duty belt that firefighters and police wear. It can be used for an emergency rappel, so I know it's rated for how I use it. You could also use a rock climbing harness as well. The way I space the steps for my height, I get about 3 ft per step. I've ordered 4 more stepps so I can hunt at 30 ft and build a platform with 12 steps. I also ordered another bag so I can put 6 steps in each bag to distribute the weight a little better. Anyway I've never seen it done like this and wanted to share. Yaw stay safe and God bless.

Very similar to the Wild Edge system for safety rope. Just make sure that the step you clip directly to is horizontal or slightly above the clipping point. Otherwise you will lift the step and it will not be cammed over.

That is really innovative! Thanks for sharing. I like to rappel from hunting height and I've been struggling with having to untie each step. This method really simplified that.

Very similar to the Wild Edge system for safety rope. Just make sure that the step you clip directly to is horizontal or slightly above the clipping point. Otherwise you will lift the step and it will not be cammed over.
Your exactly right. I have done that very thing your talking about. I like my waist to be slightly lower than the step. Another thing is the step needs to be somewhat level or your carabiner will slide to the downhill side whenever you lean back. Not life threatening, but it will get your attention. Lol

@BassBoysLLP, I've been thinking about hooking into the aider rope in my system similar to how he is hooking into the stepp above him to eliminate a lineman's belt. If you come up with any good ideas let me know. I am still leery about only attaching to a stepp, I have had a few move on me.

I was tinkering around the other day and I came up with kind of a hybrid of this method and what DaveT posted yesterday with the single long aider. Space the stepps just like this video then take a piece of webbing tied in a loop and girth hitch it to the crossbar on the upper stepp.
Helps if someone doesn't have the upper body strength to grab on and walk up the tree to the bottom step. Could still use the tether in the same manner as @Cain video.

I definitely like the idea of hooking to the step to get rid of the lineman's belt or at least to allow you to move it around limbs hands free. My only concern would be tying off to the step. If you fell would the step be strong enough to stop the fall? Not saying that it wouldn't, but when I built scaffolds that would not have been considered a safe tie off point. I'd be curious how much weight the step could withstand from a three foot drop. There is a big difference in supporting weight and stopping it. I will definitely be playing with this method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Seems really slick but a little noisy for me.
I was thinking the same, but he's just demonstrating so I would imagine it could be done a lot more quietly with just a little effort. Although it would likely require wrapping the rung on each step with something. Safety factor there too I would think.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same, but he's just demonstrating so I would imagine it could be done a lot more quietly with just a little effort. Although it would likely require wrapping the rung on each step with something. Safety factor there too I would think.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
I think with a short runner from Rei girth hitched to the ring you could eliminate the metal to metal contract

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back