• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How many times a year do you get to go hunting?

MattMan81

SH Member
Hey Hunters,
Just curious how many times a year you guys think you go hunting? Just in general curious on average how much time you spend.
I probably only made it out 10 times last season. Michigan is Oct 1- Jan1 most area.
A few all day sits, and couple still hunts late season. Hope to do more once my boys get older. But all I can get for now.

I’m retired, so I can hunt all season in Ohio if I want to. That said, I’m usually tagged out by the end of November. One shooter buck and two does is my goal every year. I pass on a lot of bucks, waiting for the right one.

I'm probably around 50-60 sits every year. Usually won't go unless I at least have a min of 4 hours to hunt. Most hunts are 5-6 hours.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you count Deer, Turkey, Dove, Duck and Squirrel, I'm well over a 100 hunts a year. And I still work, kinda!:)

Our season in Coastal Carolina is from late September to the end of December. I probably got out 20 or so times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was able to go 15 times this year. 3 days at 1wma, 8 at another wma, 3 on another, and 1 on private land. All public was 3 day quotas so you got 3 days to get it done...

Usually in the range of 20 - 30 days a year deer hunting.

Our bow season is 6 weeks, no Sunday hunting yet. First four weeks I get out 1-2 evenings a week after work, plus the Saturdays.

I usually take most if not all of the last two weeks off. I'm pretty flexible about the other stuff with family obligations, but those last two weeks of archery season are my time. Please try not to die and if you're contemplating inviting me to a wedding in November, don't even bother.

4-5 days in rifle season usually just mentoring new hunters. Then late season if the weather isn't arctic usually a couple times just to get out before the long hiatus.

I could easily hunt 2x what I do, I feel like I don't get out enough. With two young tots I haven't done in a out of state hunt in a few years.

I was able to get out 60-70 times this year with our 4 month season in Maryland

Oh man - jealous of some of these numbers - I have a wife that works weekends in the OR at the hospital, so I am home with the kiddos on the weekend. I really only got a half dozen or so sits this year, so happy with a doe (first from a saddle). Can't wait till they get a little older and get join in the fun! Wish I could get more hunting in - though don't wish to start paying for daycare as that would really cut into the saddle-funds (the little that I can sneak away from the CFO!!!)

Our archery deer season is 5 months. I can get out 100+ days if need be. This season I hunted around 60 days. Mostly quick 2 hour or less hunts after work. I only end up climbing a tree maybe 25% of the time.

Didn't keep track but I'm guessing around 20 separate days of hunting. I hunt dark to dark. Maybe not in one spot all day. I'll go to a morning stand and if it's good I'll stay if not scout till I come across something worth sitting. Did 4 all day sits this past year. Average sit is 6 hours.

My goal next year is 40 separate days. Got 1 week off in November for rutcation. If I'm not tagged out by then I hope to get it done after that 9 day hunt. A quick out of state hunt while we visit family over Thanksgiving. All with the bow.

I consider a 1/2 day hunt as 1 hunt (either morning or afternoon). So, I did 45 hunts over 36 separate days (i.e. a few days were all day sits; most were 1/2 day sits). All for whitetail.

Not enough. Hunted a couple of weekends at my brother's property and a half dozen or so sits on public. Didn't eat tag soup at least. Not going to be easier this season. Having our first baby in July and going back to school starting March.

Ontario is similar in my area minus 10 days over 2 separate weeks for controlled shotgun.

If you do the math that’s give or take 24 weekend days. Subtract days where I have family obligations, days where the wind and weather suck bad and it could be as little as 5 deer hunting days a year.

This year I had big plans to be out as much as possible during the Christmas break (company shutdown) but twisted my back on the first day out and ended up only getting out the last 2 days of the season.

The hunting seasons that piss me off most are things like Spring turkey. With no Sunday gun hunting in much of my area that means only a handful of days I can get out with the shotgun. I may try using the crossbow on Sunday’s this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back