• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to PM (private message) a member

lladnew

I'm having difficulty finding how to PM (private message) another member. I wanted to buy one of Ernie's XOP platform kits, but I couldn't figure out how to PM. I found the conversation area from the menu, but there was not option for creating a new message. I also found that you could post publicly on another person's profile which I did, but no private option. Then I found the thread that all new members are supposed to read which mentions that you need to have 3 posts before you can PM. Redsquirrel responded to my question posted on his profile about this and said that I should be able to mouse over the envelope icon in the top right. I've done this and I can see an existing private conversation, but Ernie started that for me. I still don't have an option for creating my own new PM.

At the moment my theory is that the button is not showing up for me because of this. It also seems that 3 "posts" means creating 3 entirely new posts not just participating in other ongoing conversations... at least that's my theory since I still can't find the button and I've posted in will over 3 conversations. I don't think I've created 3 brand new posts so far.

If someone can help with a little more clarification or confirmation of my assumptions, that would be much appreciated.

You have more than enough posts, so that is not an issue. If you hover over the mail button there should be a link to start a new conversation at the bottom. If that isn't working for you can click on the mail button to bring up the page. There should be a blue box towards the middle to top right of the screen that says "start a new conversation".

If that doesn't work, what browser are you using?

I primarily use Chrome, but I tried it in explorer as well. See attached images.

Attachments

• conversation popout.JPG
    conversation popout.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Conversation page.JPG
    Conversation page.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 20
  • conversation page explorer.JPG
    conversation page explorer.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 17
I am having the same problems. I also would like to purchase a kit. "start a conversation" is not there, even if I hover or click conversations.

I am having the same problems. I also would like to purchase a kit. "start a conversation" is not there, even if I hover or click conversations.
for the moment, I'll ask Ernie if he can PM you since I already have a PM with him.

I usually just click on the persons name below their picture and a pop up comes up and in the pop up is a blue link for "start a conversation"

I usually just click on the persons name below their picture and a pop up comes up and in the pop up is a blue link for "start a conversation"
yeah, that doesn't seem to show up for me... and apparently cobra_archer... for some reason.

yeah, that doesn't seem to show up for me... and apparently cobra_archer... for some reason.

Ok this should be fixed for both of you. For some reason something didn't change over for you guys after your post count. Let me know in this thread if it's not fixed.

Ok this should be fixed for both of you. For some reason something didn't change over for you guys after your post count. Let me know in this thread if it's not fixed.
Thanks redsquirrel! I'm all set! It's showing up now!

Great thread. Thank you. Guess I will have to start posting more instead of just reading!

Back