• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How would you hunt these features

JoeExotic244

Im a public land hunter in PA. Have been hunting but recently trying to get serious about finding deer persay. Ive killed alot of deer rifle hunting but I wouldnt say i knew exactly what i was looking for. Maybe i saw some scrapes and thought that spot was instantly amazing. Anyway getting more serious about bow hunting im trying to read maps due to not actually living in PA anymore but still going back to hunt. So i cant scout preseason at all.

Looking at this map its about a 250 acre piece of public im interested in because its so close to where im staying it would be easy for me to acess. (I am looking at other spots too but i have very limited hunting time so i dont want to drive to 10 different patches of woods and barely end up hunting any of them). Theres 2 creeks that connect to a marsh so it almost forms an elevated island in the middle. Looking on a topo that piece is higher. With the limited info where would you try to go in your opinion? The creek isnt super deep and is definitely crossable im just not sure if that would be a pinchpoint of some sorts? ThanksWoods.PNG

I’d probably do most of my scouting around the edges of all the swamps. Find the best entrance and exits on both sides so I could hunt either side wind dependent. The I’d back track and find where they eat. I’d set up 100-200 yards from bedding in the swamps in the PM, and in the AM I’d try to be 100-200 yards away from the major food source on their way to bed.

These are the spots I would key in on personally. Look for feeding sign at oaks and look for creek crossings at either end of the marsh. Good luck.

Attachments

• Deleware forest.jpg
    Deleware forest.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 73
I would honestly try and scout it all if you can. Break it down little by little. There are spots I would key in on but I would still feel the need to scout it all in case I would miss something the map doesn’t show

I would honestly try and scout it all if you can. Break it down little by little. There are spots I would key in on but I would still feel the need to scout it all in case I would miss something the map doesn’t show
Yeah definitely. Just wanted to get some opinions as the first day I’m in there I’ll be hunting so I wanted a better idea rather than stomping around everywhere kicking deer out lol

How long you plan on being there? The only reason I ask is I always though scouting was wasting time not hunting but in reality my time was better off scouting to be successful. If your there say 3-5 days I would scout mornings and hunt afternoons

How long you plan on being there? The only reason I ask is I always though scouting was wasting time not hunting but in reality my time was better off scouting to be successful. If your there say 3-5 days I would scout mornings and hunt afternoons
I’ll be in the area about 10 days so I have time but in your opinion if you kick up deer out of bedding let’s say for example. Would you consider that spot ruined for a few days or do you think you can still hunt it same day? Rifle hunting I would just move on because I could cover soo much ground but I’m trying to get in the mindset of finding where the deer will actually be not just finding a spot that looks visually appealing to me.

I’ll be in the area about 10 days so I have time but in your opinion if you kick up deer out of bedding let’s say for example. Would you consider that spot ruined for a few days or do you think you can still hunt it same day? Rifle hunting I would just move on because I could cover soo much ground but I’m trying to get in the mindset of finding where the deer will actually be not just finding a spot that looks visually appealing to me.
I’d def hunt it. If you find that bedding say doe bedding find the oak trees they are eating from. Keep looking till you find as much sign as you think is necessary and hunt it. It shouldnt be too far from the bedding. Walking those traditions lines im sure you’ll come across some rubs at some point as well

Im a public land hunter in PA. Have been hunting but recently trying to get serious about finding deer persay. Ive killed alot of deer rifle hunting but I wouldnt say i knew exactly what i was looking for. Maybe i saw some scrapes and thought that spot was instantly amazing. Anyway getting more serious about bow hunting im trying to read maps due to not actually living in PA anymore but still going back to hunt. So i cant scout preseason at all.

Looking at this map its about a 250 acre piece of public im interested in because its so close to where im staying it would be easy for me to acess. (I am looking at other spots too but i have very limited hunting time so i dont want to drive to 10 different patches of woods and barely end up hunting any of them). Theres 2 creeks that connect to a marsh so it almost forms an elevated island in the middle. Looking on a topo that piece is higher. With the limited info where would you try to go in your opinion? The creek isnt super deep and is definitely crossable im just not sure if that would be a pinchpoint of some sorts? ThanksView attachment 72460
That vegetative edge that crosses the middle ridge NW to SE 'ish would probably be where I start. Looking for hot mast trees along that edge or close to it and travel sign and scrapes. I would also look at the other vegetative edges shown in that pic. Those spots @NMSbowhunter marked would prolly get eyes too.

I’d walk all the creek edges and the marsh swamp edges to find bedding areas, then hunt the edges of where they are bedding that has trails and sign. If there are pockets of thick cover you won’t see that on a map either and you could do the same.

I’d walk all the creek edges and the marsh swamp edges to find bedding areas, then hunt the edges of where they are bedding that has trails and sign. If there are pockets of thick cover you won’t see that on a map either and you could do the same.

I’m a big fan of hunting new land with the next season more in mind then the one I’m in.. So when I put out cameras, the info i get is for the following season, not the season I am in. Same with hunting. If I’m hunting a new piece of land, I’m basically considering it to be more of information gathering then a deer hunt. So, if I were you.. I would divide the land up based on areas you think might hold deer, get in there and sit in each area for half day or full day. So if you have 10 days, pick 10 areas in that piece of property, walk in quietly at very first light and do a little scouting on the way in. Set up in a good tree and treat your sit as observation sit and hope you get lucky. My deer hunting got dramatically better when I started thinking about how deer hunting is a marathon and not a sprint. You need to pattern deer and other hunters. Really get to know the area youre hunting. 1 season I may spend 10 days on one piece of land and not kill anything.. the next season I spend 1 day there and kill a deer.

This is great advice. Don't be afraid to kick out deer. The best knowledge you can possibly have about a new place is where the deer are at. and this is the best way to do that. If you move slow and pay attention to your wind, you should only soft bump them with your sound. If they don't smell you and see you very well, they will very likely be back in there later. Hope you have a really fun time exploring new ground!

Back