• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunter Workout Programs

515Raven

Do any of you guys adhere to a structured workout program during the off-season?

Just got a gym membership, going to be working on weight and the muscles involved with climbing and archery. Just gotta figure that last bit out

I try and stick to a weight program several times a week. I have a set of dumbbell weights and a curl bar at home with weight plates. I also have a bench. Ideally, I do something like Chest, back, biceps, triceps one day. Then follow up the next with Abs. Then the next Legs. Rest a day or two then repeat. In college is was Chest, back, biceps, triceps Monday, Abs Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Wednesday was legs. I was much more hard core about it back then. Now I focus on building gradual strength without hurting myself and work in a lot of flexibility exercises and stretching. I also work on my balance.

I also try to eat right and get enough sleep.

My wife tried being a beachbody coach a few years ago and while I don't recommend any of their products the Beachbody on Demand (BOD) has stuck with us. It's basically netflix of beachbody programs. There are 3 or 4 programs that I'll cycle through throughout the year and I still like them at this point. 35-45 minutes a pop and I feel worked out by the end. Cheaper than a gym membership, though I did need to buy some dumbells to start and occassionally need to buy more to progress. Currently doing Lift4 to try and get some muscle on before I cut down for bikini season. Then I'll switch to the Prep to start getting in shape and graduate to the Work to really get in shape before the season.

I do the same thing I did when I was on active duty, mostly body weight exercises and throw around a kettle bell. My pumping iron days are over. Go on google and type body weight exercises, then download and print out one of the exercise sheets that pops up.

Structured program? No. Steal from several and do what makes sense for me. We call what we do crossfit'ish. High intensity 30-45 minute workouts 4-5 days a week. We focus primarily on compound movements with a pretty significant focus on legs/core/back. As a non-trainer type, I would say if someone was looking for one thing to do with the flexibility to do it at home or a gym it would pretty hard to beat Murph no vest. May have to start with a quarter or half Murph and build up to a full. Then add a vest and start over building back up to a full Murph with a vest.

My wife tried being a beachbody coach a few years ago and while I don't recommend any of their products the Beachbody on Demand (BOD) has stuck with us. It's basically netflix of beachbody programs. There are 3 or 4 programs that I'll cycle through throughout the year and I still like them at this point. 35-45 minutes a pop and I feel worked out by the end. Cheaper than a gym membership, though I did need to buy some dumbells to start and occassionally need to buy more to progress. Currently doing Lift4 to try and get some muscle on before I cut down for bikini season. Then I'll switch to the Prep to start getting in shape and graduate to the Work to really get in shape before the season.

My wife just signed up for the BOD trial. I was skeptical because I know it's basically multi level marketing aka a pyramid scheme. So I may try some of those out. I have a kettlebell and some dumbbells.

I set up a pack for rucking last summer but never got around to using it. My plan was to go to the state park that's close by and hike some of the trails. I'm also looking at dusting off my mountain bike that my wife got me a couple of years ago and has just been collecting dust in the shed. There are mountain bike trails in said state park. Just not interested in spending money on a gym membership that that realistically won't get used.

Stay active, keep the legs and core strong, and maybe do some pushups and pullups every once in awhile if your lady is into that.

My wife just signed up for the BOD trial. I was skeptical because I know it's basically multi level marketing aka a pyramid scheme. So I may try some of those out. I have a kettlebell and some dumbbells.

That's 100% what it is and why I don't recommend any of their supplements. You can get better quality everything for cheaper. But, the BOD subscription is reasonably priced and there are some good programs on there. I'd generally avoid 'challenge packs' to unless there's a program you find you or your wife like a lot and it comes with the BOD subscription after your trial runs out. Some programs use other tools like sliders or bands that can usually be bought cheaper on Amazon. I've never been good at working out consistently and if I tried a gym membership I'd probably never go. I can barely squeeze in the 45 minutes in my basement when I'm working from home (two kids and a dog), so add in gym travel time and whatnot I don't think it's feasible for me. I'm also a weakling and don't like working out around people. The programs provide structure and motivation to keep you moving and on a pace. Sometimes I'll mix and match different days from different programs. It worked for me after 30 years of nothing elese working, so it's worth a try.

I do the same thing I did when I was on active duty, mostly body weight exercises and throw around a kettle bell. My pumping iron days are over. Go on google and type body weight exercises, then download and print out one of the exercise sheets that pops up.

Pretty much the same here. Plank/push-up/squat/stretching with a kettlebell thrown in. I was on a routine where I was walking 3-5 miles, I need to get that fired back up pronto.

30 Minute HIIT 2x per week, 5 AM. Tailored for life, includes hunting. Can do anywhere in a hotel room in your underwear if you travel for work.

4 minute warmup-jump rope or treadmill

45 second work, 15 second rest. (Body weight)
1. Squat jump/split jump
2. Push-ups
3. Side lunges
4. Mountain climber/Spider-Man
5. Pull ups/chin-ups OR leg raises (abs) if no pull-up bar/tree branch.
6-10, repeat 1-5, use 2nd exercise where I have 2 listed.
90 second rest
Repeat 1-10,

Stretch for 5 minutes.

You tube the exercises I’m not a pro. Use a stopwatch, Tabata interval app, or second hand if a click to see 1 minute.

I also try to swim, run, cycle, hike 1-2x per week.

That’s only 2+ hours of work, and if you do it 1st thing in the AM, no travel, extra shower, etc.

Sucks starting In the morning but just follow Cameron Hanes or Goggins to get over the hump.

Get up now or tomorrow AM, try it, tell me how hard/easy the 20 minutes is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a mountain bike to hunt with. Pedal in the off-season with the family for quality time and fun exercise :grin: there’s hundreds of miles of bike trails within 5 minutes of my house so I really have no excuse lol

My career is in the fitness industry, and I recommend https://renaissanceperiodization.com/ for go to weightlifting templates and their app for diet. Following the advice on this website will take away months of trial and error in the gym and trying to figure out your nutrition.

This is it right here. Start with nutrition.

I have used RP for years. Highly recommend.

Back