• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting big trees

Junibravo

This is my first year saddle hunting. I am one sticking up and rapelling down. It is worked out well so far but i have begun to realize that if a tree is too large to wrap my arms around, it can be hard to get my tether around it or for that matter the rope for my one stick.
i have a couple of large oak trees that are getting a lot of action and i really want to hunt out of them.
Are there any tips to make hunting out of large trees easier?

Can’t you get close enough to shoot to them w/o being in them? Big trees are tough, especially 1 sticking. If it’s multiple sticks then better but still tough depending on attachment method

I have used two very large oak trees by making 10 foot amsteel rope mods for steps and hanging a preset on them for SRT climbing. I love the SRT method as I can go in with a lot less weight on my back.

Had a similar problem with a giant poplar my first year in the saddle. Not one sticking but still could not get my Hawk straps around the tree. I had removed the buckles so just had the straps and could not throw the straps around because they were too light. Ended up throwing my tether around the tree and using it to carry my staps back around. You could use the tail end of your rope if one sticking. Definitely more work than I wanted but it got the job done. Any way you slice it big trees are a PIA using sticks.

I avoid large trees at all costs. They absolutely suck when it comes to 1 sticking. If I can't wrap my arms around it, I won't climb it. There's got to be another tree you can hunt from.

I was gonna drt up one last year and got my throwball stuck. Then I had to climb it with my platform with aiders and I had to out an extension loop on the platform strap to get around the tree. What a struggle that was. I did climb another giant a few days before and drt was smooth.

Back