• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Canoe

Ckwilli

SH Member
I’m looking at picking up a canoe for next season. I had an aluminum 17ft osagian that was nice but way heavy. I’d prefer a poly or fiberglass canoe but don’t know much about them. I see a lot of old town discovery and rogue river canoes for sale but I’m unfamiliar with them. I’ll mainly be using it on slow moving creeks and open water. Any suggestions, things to consider, advice? I know about hull designs, just wanting to know what others have experienced with different types.

I'm liking my 12' Radisson. Only weighs about 35 lbs. Stable with one or two people. If I was going to carry two people regularly I'd go with the 14'. Pretty quiet for an aluminum with all the foam on it.

I have a canoe buying problem, kind of like saddle hunting stuff, kevlar wenonahs... you name it, my go to super tough, easy to load, toss in the back of truck canoe is a Radisson 14’, they mite no cut the water like a $3k wenonah but man are they light and handy

I have to say, I think your better off with your 17ft Aluminum. I think the weight is beneficial for stability. The exception is when loading and unloading. I have a 17ft Aluminum that I rigged up to make it much easier to load and unload by fastening a dolly to it...permanently. See the set up at the 2:37 mark of the linked video:

I haven’t heard or raddison. I’ll give it a try. I’ll be loading it on top of my SUV so weight is a consideration. I’d prefer not to use my utility trailer but I suppose I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oak Orchard Canoe and Mountain Man sports both have good websites with prices for a bunch of different canoes to do online research, in the spring they offer good discounts to clear out inventory for the new stuff.

I use a oldtown guide 119 solo canoe good for 450 to 500 lbs. Gets me and a deer out ok plus it only weighs 46 lbs.

This reminds me I need another canoe just for hunting. Gave my old one to my ex when she moved out. It was an old town sportsman. Slow, but very stable.

I have a canoe buying problem, kind of like saddle hunting stuff, kevlar wenonahs... you name it, my go to super tough, easy to load, toss in the back of truck canoe is a Radisson 14’, they mite no cut the water like a $3k wenonah but man are they light and handy

That is an expensive problem to have! More so than the flashlight, knife, or saddle collections that some have!

I also have a 12ft raddison, as others said very light and pretty stable. I regularly fish with two people in mine and never had an issue.

That is an expensive problem to have! More so than the flashlight, knife, or saddle collections that some have!
I have a Northstar/Bell kevlar 12’ ADK solo that I use for pond hopping brook trout with a zre carbon paddle, 17’ kevlar Wenonah solo encounter, 17’ wenonah spirit 2 that is royalex, 14’ radisson, 14’ old town guide canoe, and some other aluminum canoes that I got for free, I shop craigslist and score some deals, I am a tree man and have a lot of customers and there always trading me canoes or giving me old ones laying out back in there yard and stuff, if you shop around you can find some crazy deals on canoes.

Last edited:
I love my northstar northwind solo 15'. And then you fools have to go and post about these sub 40lb 12' aluminum radissons.....

Fine. Anyone wanna sell one?

When I was looking for my Radisson, my wife wanted a "family"canoe. I came across this Gatz 18', claims sub 50lbs. Carbon fiber construction. Screenshot_20210110-095746_Chrome.jpg

I have a Northstar/Bell kevlar 12’ ADK solo that I use for pond hopping brook trout with a zre carbon paddle, 17’ kevlar Wenonah solo encounter, 17’ wenonah spirit 2 that is royalex, 14’ radisson, 14’ old town guide canoe, and some other aluminum canoes that I got for free, I shop craigslist and score some deals, I am a tree man and have a lot of customers and there always trading me canoes or giving me old ones laying out back in there yard and stuff, if you shop around you can find some crazy deals on canoes.

I’ve been looking at Craigslist and FB marketplace but for some reason people in our area think their used canoes are gold. A lot of used ones selling at near retail. The bargains seem to disappear pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MEB
I’m hoping to duck hunt out of mine. I do use it to access remote spots for deer, but I learned the hard way last year that when you paddle across a pond in November the other shore might be frozen...

I use a two person kyack, after taking a dip in a canoe with my kid in cold water. Super stable. If the banks are steep I will sit in the front and put my gear in the back. If the bank is flat I sit in the back, and can push shimmy my self up the bank.

Deer don't see to mind the ride out in the front seat either. I shot this one with my life jacket still on this year.

Attachments

• KIMG1419.JPG
    KIMG1419.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 47
I had a tent camp I accessed by canoe, we got froze in once and had to leave the whole mess there until spring lol. There is a lot of summer homes and stuff near me owned by people with disposable income and lots of lakes and ponds and I think those people buy canoes not really knowing what there getting into and then offload them cheap when there done, makes for some good deals occasionally, every spring the dealers here have huge sales and blow out the old inventory.

2C82D037-7BB5-4515-8B12-6D1327417D50.jpeg Wenonah solo encounter, this canoe is a bit much for a solo but it’s crazy fast and will handle waves like no other.

Back