• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting flat river bottoms

Bowhunter33

Whats the first thing that comes to mind when hunting this peice? Its really flat. Flooded bad 2 years ago. Made 2 sits here so far back in early November.
fd60aafcfe592b5d1b4bd23b0756cb2a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Whats the first thing that comes to mind when hunting this peice? Its really flat. Flooded bad 2 years ago. Made 2 sits here so far back in early November.
fd60aafcfe592b5d1b4bd23b0756cb2a.jpg

First thing that comes to mind is thanks for the new spot! That's not too far from home and I didn't realize there was all that public ground around there.

Last edited:
In addition to identifying cover/edge habitat and hot food sources (which can sometimes be tricky in river bottoms or other monotonous habitat), I would start by focusing on oxbows and looking at aerial photos of private land. Deer often bed near the tips of oxbows and if the water is deep or fast, like to cross along the sides of the oxbows. In the off season, I’d scour the oxbows tips to confirm bedding. In season, I’d stick with finding the crossings on the sides.
The private land side may have great bedding cover or food (such as crop fields). You may want to integrate such features into your working plans if trying to predict deer movement while on the public side. Or better yet, you could use OnX to find landowner contact info and seek permission to hunt the private if habitat/food is better.

If you could find any cover in that turn of the creek at the top, which it looks like there isn't much but hard to tell from photos, they love those sharp turns in creeks for some reason that would be my first thought!

If it floods annually most of the sign will wash out every year. You'll need to do pre and/or in-season scouting to discover fresh sign.

First thing that comes to mind is thanks for the new spot! That's not too far from home and I didn't realize there was all that public ground around there.
Well If I knew guys were on here to scavenge for spots over a keyboard I wouldn't have posted this. I guess I just learned a valuable lesson.

Well If I knew guys were on here to scavenge for spots over a keyboard I wouldn't have posted this. I guess I just learned a valuable lesson.

It only takes a couple extra minutes to edit out the location info on the screenshot and it might save ya a few headaches in the future. I'm only speaking from experience. Good luck!

Anyone can easily see this with a Google search. Never post you spot or even mention a hunting location on the web. You’ll soon know why I’m betting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone can easily see this with a Google search. Never post you spot or even mention a hunting location on the web. You’ll soon know why I’m betting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, lesson learned unfortunately. He's more than welcome to join me on highly pressured ground. As long as there's a doe roaming around there I don't mind lol my freezer is empty!

Back